What's new

USB hub with Ethernet connection

nuttyone

Hi (new poster here ;) )

Basically I've procured a SP4 (with 256GB storage) to replace my slightly old PC so I will have essentially a smarter laptop/PC. I use PS3/PS4 for gaming which I think is getting more wise and cost effective these days.

However, having a couple of external USB 3.0 HDDs connected via a USB 3.0 hub I've noticed when using them the wifi tends to cut out or not work at all. Sometimes this happens if I'm just browsing two external HHDs and not particularly doing much which is a little annoying.

My solution appears to be to invest in a USB 3.0 hub with an Ethernet port for the internet. Any people on here with experience or knowledge could advise if the Ethernet connection would be affected in the same way as the wifi when using the external HDDs or not?

On a side note, I've heard USB 3.0 can interfere with wifi connections, but I'm not sure how valid that is.

Thanks Marc

leeshor

Welcome to the forum Marc

I think your issue probably is the power draw of the drives even if they aren't doing anything. A USB 3 HUB is a good idea but a power USB HUB is an even better idea. You'll take all the power requirements of the single port on your Surface and pass it to the HUB. My guess is that your WiFi will start working fine that way.

OP
N

nuttyone

Thanks, I was hoping the Ethernet port on the hub would not be affected by the power draw. Unfortunately the power USB hubs I've seen don't have the Ethernet port, so I'd have to buy an Ethernet adapter as well as the hub.

OP
N

nuttyone

Why not try the Surface Hub it is powered and has a Ethernet port.

I know - it's the best solution but also costs £165! ($200) :-(

Just wondered if people had used Ethernet in a USB hub and not noticed any slowdown or internet outage.

bgibson2700

I used a Kensington USB 3 docking station with my SP for a few years without any significant problems. I
also had HDDs attached as well as a hard line Ethernet connection.