What's new

Well I tried to hang in there with SB and SP4

Mikewired

I returned my SB now today I will return SP4. I really like these devices but they are aggravating with crashing and battery issues. I tried SP3 last year and had hoped SP4 would be better this year. I will go to 2 devices Yoga 3 pro for only when I need to hook up and program equipment with windows and Ipad pro for emails, notes, and everything else. UAG makes a terrific case for ipad pro with a kickstand. ! device would have been nice but maybe next year. Thanks for all the help during my reacclimation to surface.

raqball

Strange combo you are swapping to...

I had the Yoga 3 Pro and the trackpad was, and still is as far as I can tell. complete GARBAGE! Overall a decent PC but man o man that track pad..

The iPad Pro? It's just a stretched out iPad. Apple should have called it the iPad Plus because that's really all it is..

At any rate, best of luck with the decision and the new setup!

OP
M

Mikewired

Yes y3p's trackpad not wonderful, but it will only be used occasionally to program equipment for which I need windows. It was 500.00 open box deal at Best Buy and it is thin and light with decent battery. I'll be back once sp4 gets resolved. Ipad and yoga 3 pro both fit in once small case and together.

raqball

I got the Yoga 3 Pro right when it was 1st released and ended up returning it because of the track pad. Amazing that after all this time, it's still terrible.. Yes battery life was good and the unit is thin and light.. If it were not for the horrible track pad, I probably would have kept it..

bluegrass

A little patience along with a lot of common sense is a virtue when owning a Surface computer. It pays big dividends in the long run. Actually, you could say that for just about any computer.

DavidZ

OK, I'm going to date myself, but here goes. When I was a teen around 1970, my friend's father bought a Jaguar XJ-12.. He was in love with the car even though it was in the shop about half the time and sometimes for over a month. Once it broke down about 6 hours from home and he flew his mechanic there to fix it.

Now, I'm not saying the SP4 is that bad, but there is often a price to pay for being at the (b)leading edge. I usually don't go there. But I'm actually enjoying my SP4 a lot and also enjoying being part of the ongoing drama as it unfolds.

bluegrass

Right on DavidZ. That kind of attitude will take you far. This might date me. I was a teenager for a better part of the 50s & a happy owner of the Radio Shack Model 1 with tape cassette input and I believe 4K or 16K of memory. It came out in 78.

wynand32

OK, I'm going to date myself, but here goes. When I was a teen around 1970, my friend's father bought a Jaguar XJ-12.. He was in love with the car even though it was in the shop about half the time and sometimes for over a month. Once it broke down about 6 hours from home and he flew his mechanic there to fix it.

Now, I'm not saying the SP4 is that bad, but there is often a price to pay for being at the (b)leading edge. I usually don't go there. But I'm actually enjoying my SP4 a lot and also enjoying being part of the ongoing drama as it unfolds.

Well, first, there's no accounting for fanaticism. :) Second, my initial response is, the SP4 isn't on the bleeding edge any longer, or at least it shouldn't be. This is Microsoft's fourth iteration of the Surface Pro line, and they've now been in hardware for a few years. They should be better at addressing issues like we're seeing with the SP4 and the SB. Even if it's Intel's issue with Skylake, Microsoft still needs to be handling this issue better. At least let us know what the heck is going on.

InspectHerGadget

I got the Yoga 3 Pro right when it was 1st released and ended up returning it because of the track pad. Amazing that after all this time, it's still terrible.. Yes battery life was good and the unit is thin and light.. If it were not for the horrible track pad, I probably would have kept it..
I agree about the trackpad. I was setting up a brand new one for a customer this week. The trackpad was POOR. It froze sometimes and right click wasn't reliable. The SP4 trackpad / keyboard I use on my SP3 is way better. In fact the original one on the SP3 is better.