What's new

What antivirus for SP3?

OP
C

CC268

Would you guys run malewarebytes alongside bit defender?

Also bit defender has 4 options...free, total security, Internet security, and antivirus plus...which one would you choose?

I currently just threw on the free version

Last edited:

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just installed bit defender after recommendation as one of the lightest on system resources. Takes a while to find the free version on their web site though.
Ialso run malwarebytes free.

InspectHerGadget

Actually Norton really isn't as bad anymore and the performance hit is hardly noticeable. I run it on several desktop PCs and all's well.

The reason I switched to Kaspersky is because of the Connected Standby issue.

CS seems to be supported in the Norton beta, but I'm not gonna rely on beta software for security.

As I may have said earlier in the post, I've sold hundreds of copies of Norton Internet Security in my business. I also de-louse computers many times every week. The common theme for people that get hit is high risk surfing behaviour. The security people have on it at the time of infections varies and covers all the products you have named on this thread.

It simply lowers your odds of getting done if you have a paid security product as there are more levels of protection.

I even had a MacBook I had to reinstall the other day. Lots of Java based malware which is also what causes 90% of issues on Windows computers also.

www.bleepingcomputer.com is a good site for downloading products such as HitmanPro, Malwarebytes, Combofix and other good stuff if you're unlucky enough or careless enough to get hit.

Nucleon

Common sense, Pre-installed Windows Defender/MSE and Malwarebytes goes a long way. This is what I use on every computer as soon as I get it, and I've never had a problem since.

Maciej

Personally, I am using Windows Defender on my SP3 too.

I have used BitDefender on my previous notebook, Lenovo X220, but it didn't work well with Visual Studio for Windows Phone SDK.
Each time I was trying to start the emulator, Windows shown me a BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death). The bad thing was, it didn't happen with the trial version, I have tested before, just with the full version. Thus I hve had to disable Bit Defender each time, I was developing for Windows Phone and after a while, I have uninstalled the software. BitDefender support wasn't so helpful, though they could have reproduce my problem, they did not gave my my cash back and did not provide any other solution. They were just blaming Microsoft. Well indeed, it did not happen with the trial, so I Suppose, it was Bit Defenders own engine.