Votes: 23 65.7%

• Total voters

nato

3958414948.png

Just now, on a 4G mobile connection.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure Ookla speed test is All That. It says I get 20 both directions but when I'm downloading from MSDN I get 50-56. (I am subscribed for 50) while running the FCC Speed Test App on my old Galaxy Note 10.1 (Tegra 3) I get 33 in both directions. FIOS is now speed matching Up and Down speeds although its not often I use or need the UP speed it does seem to work.

OP
B

bluegrass

The poll is much too limiting...I get 60Mb/s at home and there are those who get 1000Mb/s....maybe edit it to ranges.

I meant to add more ranges but I press something and it set it up the way it is. I couldn't find where I could edit it. I can't believe that people at home are able to find a service provider that can provide the speeds that I'm seeing in these tests.

ATT fastest is 45 mbps and that's only in a few trial places like Austin, Tx. I don't believe here in St. Louis that there is an ISP that can give you anywhere near 45 mbps. We don't have anywhere near those high speeds where I work and even at 30 mbps it is divided among about 100 user.

Are we sure that these tests aren't just measuring the connection speed of you Surface to your router. I know for damn sure there isn't a ISP in the world that can give you a gigabit download speed. What's up? Does anyone here remember dial up Internet?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I meant to add more ranges but I press something and it set it up the way it is. I couldn't find where I could edit it. I can't believe that people at home are able to find a service provider that can provide the speeds that I'm seeing in these tests.

ATT fastest is 45 mbps and that's only in a few trial places like Austin, Tx. I don't believe here in St. Louis that there is an ISP that can give you anywhere near 45 mbps. We don't have anywhere near those high speeds where I work and even at 30 mbps it is divided among about 100 user.

Are we sure that these tests aren't just measuring the connection speed of you Surface to your router. I know for damn sure there isn't a ISP in the world that can give you a gigabit download speed. What's up? Does anyone here remember dial up Internet?
The Air Force used to use a system that was 300 baud. :) then they upgraded to the blazing 1200 baud. :)
Now gigabit DSL is on the horizon.

Though now that I think about it originally it may have been 150 baud (bits per second).
It may have been quicker to write a letter and fly it to the destination. :D

Last edited:

Liam2349

I get up to 1.4MB/s, just be aware that in these units B=/=b and m=/=M, because your units don't make clear what you are actually asking.

mb/s is extremely slow.

OP
B

bluegrass

mbps is actually mega bits per second and not mega bytes per second. For people who don't know a bit from a byte, I usually tell them that if you divide your mbps by 10 it's about that many characters per second. In other words my AT&T Elite u-Verse speed of 6 mbps would be approximately 600,000 characters per second, roughly. Anyway that's faster than I can read.

Has any of you ever contemplated what takes place in bit flow inside your computer when you type a single letter. It would blow you mind if you some tech guru explained the bit flow that takes place. As my Navy electronics teacher told us in my first basic electronics class at Treasure Island, "This is straight forward conventional material, obvious to the most casual observer" and we were off and running learning about cathodes, control grids, & plates (anodes).