What's new

Poll Who's got an i7 and hasn't had any overheating?

Who's got an i7 and hasn't had any Thermal shut down?

• Total voters

joga

I have the i7 512 since Aug 1 with no icon, no overheating, and have never heard the fan.

I am its fan. ;)

Number crunching geophysics. Works great.

I have my i7 since 2 weeks. It's very fast and i never hear the fan (exception: installing windows updates).

I'm a very happy Surface user...

Chrick

I've had an i7 256 for a few weeks and other than some loud fan and warm case in the upper right hand side before the first firmware update, I've had no issues. Definitely never had a fault or thermometer icon.

xcolt45

Honestly, the only time my fan gets going is with firmware updates and if I'm watching movies for an extended period of time... I am in joy with my SP3

Enrico D.

I fixed the i7 watching task manager with some process was creating issues. Now it is perfect.
Of course i5 it's around 3/4 even 5 degrees less as temperature, but i7 it's ok. I have also a lot 1429 that I read others had issues with it. I think that nobody check the real problem that might be the intensive use of CPU from some process and you can check it in the taskmanager, then you have to find the reason of that issue and fix. In my case was a Logitech driver/utility that was a must to install to fix a issue with windows that was sending to 30/35% the cpu when the pc was idle, I couldn't leave the pc more than 2/3 minutes... now I can leave it alone forever and it work like a desktop.
Below 10/12% usage of cpu it's really silent, the fan is 0/1 decibel rumor!!!! above 15% can start to heat a bit and the fan start to move a bit.
So I have no overheating problems, but because the specs of i7 and i5 are very similar for a standard use of these pcs, I could recommend to buy the i5 with 8gb ram... it's same and run cooler.

malberttoo

The problem I have with this is the term "overheating" which implies that there is a thermal condition on your i7's that has gotten out of control.

This is simply not true.

Your SP3 i7 may indeed get roasty-toasty, and the fan may run like crazy, but in fact it's not "overheating", it is simply running very hot, yet within the specs of its design.

When your vehicle breaks a hose and then steam starts billowing out of the hood and the temp light comes on on the dash and then the car shuts down, that's overheating, and that's a problem.

But when it's 110° F outside and you get out of your car and the hood is too hot to touch and you can feel the heat waves rolling out from the front of the grille, yet the temp gauge is right where it's supposed to be and the engine fan is roaring away, that is simply "running hot", and there is nothing wrong with the car at that point.

"Overheating" gets used way too much here, and very few users have ever experienced a true overheating condition.

Last edited:
OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem I have with this is the term "overheating" which implies that there is a thermal condition on your i7's that has gotten out of control.

This is simply not true.

Your SP3 i7 may indeed get roasty-toasty, and the fan may run like crazy, but in fact it's not "overheating", it is simply running very hot, yet within the specs of its design.

When your vehicle breaks a hose and then steam starts billowing out of the hood and the temp light comes on on the dash and then the car shuts down, that's overheating, and that's a problem.

But when it's 110° F outside and you get out of your car and the hood is too hot to touch and you can feel the heat waves rolling out from the front of the grille, yet the temp gauge is right where it's supposed to be and the engine fan is roaring away, that is simply "running hot", and there is nothing wrong with the car at that point.

"Overheating" gets used way too much here, and very few users have ever experienced a true overheating condition.
Very true even the thermometer shut down is there to prevent actual overheating.

Probably be better to say thermal shutdown on this thread actually. No I've never had one.

Blowing the fan full blast while seemingly doing nothing is another issue, and another one I've not had.