What's new

Why Did You Buy Your Surface Pro and How Do You Use It?

munakib

I got my Surface Pro 2 as a gift from my elder bro (he gave me a Surface Pro 1 first but that had dead pixels so he upgraded me to the pro 2 :D), I personally used to use my Macbook Air which I now passed down to my 6 yr old Daughter :S, its getting alot of Youtube usage. I just getting comfortable with the Windows 8 environment for now, I do graphics designing as a hobby and the Pro2 should do me well for now.

TheMovieHero

Hi all, first time poster. I recently converted to all Apple. BUT, this is for work really as they work well the apple ecosystem (still got an Xbox One) and I have my iMac, my iPad Mini, and my iPhone and I'm left wanting on trips. I wanted a laptop. Well Guess what, Surface Pros? They are deemed obsolete and clearance out now that the two is out. Well I snagged one from BestBuy and I love it. Any tips, tricks, and must haves for a newbie to Surface?

disposedtrolley

I recently purchased mine for uni.

OneNote on my laptop was great for rich note-taking in high school. I thought I'd take it one step further with the Surface Pro and stylus integration. It's been fantastic so far; handwriting recognition is very accurate, and the Wacom digitiser surpasses any capacitive stylus on the market.

The only issue I have would be battery life, but I wasn't expecting much to begin with. Hopefully the Power Cover is released soon, I think it'd be a great combination with the original Surface Pro and good value at what they're selling for now.

wditters

I bought a Pro 2 8/512 4300u in my quasi-eternal quest for the ultimate mobile professional tool. It runs a number of VMware virtual machines for my job, it contains my private work environment, and the Metro part is mainly for leisure, browsing, games, pictures and movies. It allows me to combine my private and worklife in one allround cloud-connected device.

It also helps me reduce my my business trip costs by allowing me to stay under the 20 pound mark, thus taking away the need to check-in additional luggage. I often go out on approx. 3-day business trips using low-cost carriers while only carrying one single Crumpler suit bag with 3 full suits, toiletries and my Surface Pro. You wouldn't believe the number of times that this allowed me to save 60 euros per checked-in luggage item. The costs for my top of the line Surface Pro 2 were already compensated before I actually purchased it :).

phubai

The primary reason I bought a Surface Pro was the heavily discounted price of $499 and the hardware provided for that price. A Core I5 and 128GB Flash Drive for under $500 was reason enough for me. I like having a portable and was frustrated with tablet only functionality quite often. I was always stretching the limits on my iPad trying to get it to do things it was really never intended for. The Surface seemed a natural transition to me, and I was going to pick up a Surface 2, the RT version, since it included Office, but I was afraid I'd be disappointed with app selection, and then this deal came along. I use it for general purpose computing, have installed Office on it, and except for the trackpad on the keyboard (which is terrible to me) and the on again/off again Bluetooth mouse (T630) I'm fairly happy with the purchase. I'm still not a Win 8 convert, and struggle with that still. I now have it on two of my machines, but I still honestly prefer Win 7...I'm getting there, and trying anyway. Honestly, I wouldn't have bought one at all were it not for the price I must admit. I'm more suited for an ultrabook than a touch screen device, and that may yet be where I end up.

thering1975

I Just brought a surface pro mainly because i wanted a tablet/laptop/desktop type device. I had brought the galaxy note pro 12.2 but returned within a week purely because it didnt fulfill all my needs even though it was a great device. Managed to get it on microsoft uk for 539 but with £50 quid cashback from quidco so all in £490 pounds including a free touch cover and £10 store voucher. I know the first cover is rubbish but hell its free and the cheapest i could find the unit in the uk. I did toy with the pro 2 however that including cover is about £830 with work discount so as far as i can see that £300 just to get better battery life and an extra position on the stand (processor is negligible) is not worth it, ill just buy a few extra chargers and leave them at work lol. Hopefully i wont regret this decision but have a feeling it should do me fine, Mainly will use it for photoshop and android rom development i.e cyanogenmod etc, if im lucky it will play the walking dead as well, if it does this fine ill be happy

ronvgs

Bought the Surface pro2 direct from Microsoft and i use it as a Desktop machine.
Hp monitor and a Microsoft Wedge Mobile keyboard.
Working geat and Quiet.

CrippsCorner

I Just brought a surface pro mainly because i wanted a tablet/laptop/desktop type device. I had brought the galaxy note pro 12.2 but returned within a week purely because it didnt fulfill all my needs even though it was a great device. Managed to get it on microsoft uk for 539 but with £50 quid cashback from quidco so all in £490 pounds including a free touch cover and £10 store voucher. I know the first cover is rubbish but hell its free and the cheapest i could find the unit in the uk. I did toy with the pro 2 however that including cover is about £830 with work discount so as far as i can see that £300 just to get better battery life and an extra position on the stand (processor is negligible) is not worth it, ill just buy a few extra chargers and leave them at work lol. Hopefully i wont regret this decision but have a feeling it should do me fine, Mainly will use it for photoshop and android rom development i.e cyanogenmod etc, if im lucky it will play the walking dead as well, if it does this fine ill be happy

Good old Quidco. Strangely enough when I ordered mine the cashback was something like £30 but it got denied. I then created a claim which came out to more like £35... then after about 2 months I got paid both
tongue.png
bonus!

thering1975

Good old Quidco. Strangely enough when I ordered mine the cashback was something like £30 but it got denied. I then created a claim which came out to more like £35... then after about 2 months I got paid both
tongue.png
bonus!

Yeah oddly its tracked at 78 pounds lol but they have dropped the price today to just 519 so may try and get the 20 quid off them also lol

godzillinois

I originally wanted to buy mine almost exclusively to use for digital art (I even ordered a Wacom Bamboo Feel Stylus before even buying the Pro.) I was dreaming about a 13" Wacom Cintiq monitor which starts at $1000 USD (the bigger sizes are twice that price) and Wacom actually makes an Android & Windows 8 drawing tablet as well but those start at $1700, so once I found out the Surface was on sale for $600 and that Best Buy had 18 months no interest financing I was sold. Now I think it may have replaced my Nook HD+ as a light browser and tablet reader, and found a great backup & supplement to my MacBook Pro and Wacom Intuos! I was hoping it could be a good backup rig to use with my deejaying as well but I don't think it quite meets the minimum specs needed for the programs. With the Type Cover 2 I now barely even use my MacBook for browsing (although I've only had a Surface Pro for a week.) It holds up pretty well against my MacBook (which also only has 4GB RAM) so hopefully this will last me a couple of years of great use