What's new

Why Did You Buy Your Surface Pro and How Do You Use It?

machistmo

It doesn't tell me this at all. It tells me that Samsung/Google are gradually trying to overtake the desktop environment as well as the mobile one... can't blame them at all can you! I wonder if Microsoft could force them not to.

Did Samsung ever release an RT device? I know they were talking about one, did they ever pull the trigger?

demandarin

Well hello. The OP name sounds familiar. I wonder if he the same one from xda in transformers prime or nexus7 forums.

Anyways, I was so close to pulling the trigger on the pro tablet at best buy today. I ended up getting the new N7(2013). As I want to give my OG N7 to my father.

What held me back was the price point. At leeast for now. As I truly want this device bbadly. Even with $100 off, its very expensive. If I'm going to get Surface Pro, I would get 128GB model. If the keyboard dock was bundled, I would've got it instantly. I would want the type cover.

I was playing with it extensively in best buy. Man its so nice and fast. I was surprised how well the RT version was also. But its running last years Tegra3 like on my OG N7. Plus only has 2gb of ram as opposed to Pro 4gb. I just wish the pro came with Office bundled also.

I'm itching for a new experience badly. I love android but I see so much potential for both RT and Pro. The pro is basically a fullblown ultrabook without attached keyboard. Although I hate the fact its battery life is not longer, its not so much of a drawback. As I'm always near an outlet and this tablet would stay at home most of the time. Although I have my new N7 to play with, I can't get the surface out of my head. The pro is a major investment. I'd hate to buy it noe then 2 months later a newer model announced. But the I5 in the pro is powerful. So it'll be good for a long time. Only major thing a newer model could bring is either haswell or the lower voltage variant of ivy bridge. A newer model RT version with tegra4 or snapdragon 800 would be killer. But the fact that RT can't install legacy apps(aside from new hack) is a drawback. If I get surface, I want the fullblown experience. I can't describe how smooth and fast the UI is on both the pro and RT. I'm ready to dive into a new mobile experience with Microsoft surface. I love technology. I will keep on reading this forum. There's a very high chance I could return my N7 timoorow or just straight out buy the Surface Pro. Only thing killing me is have to pay alot extra to get the keyboard cover. It all starts adding up quick. Then the best buy guy had the nerve to try to get me to get 2 year best buy warranty for over $200 extra. With that, 128gb surface pro and type keyboard cover, I'm easily over $1200-1300 dollars. A major investment. Now I did pay $599 for my note 10.1 when it came out. Which I still have.

All in all, Microsoft created a great device here. I have the money and could easily run back out and get it now. Its just paying extra for the keyboard that annoys me. I have to have keyboard cover with it. Let me stop ranting. I'm envious of you surface owners. Iwant one badly.

Anyword on when MS plans to uupdate to newer versions? Of its 6+ months out, I'd feel better about getting a pro now. I like RT also, but feel the Pro is a more capable device. Plus I really love its 1080P display. Sorry for tgw long post. ;)

demandarin

Call me crazy..lol I'm returning my new N7 and going to get 128gb surface with type cover. On the way back to best buy now. I gotta have it. Playtime over. Time to get some real power in the form of I5.

Reading most of this thread helped convince me. It's an investment but a good one. This will replace my several year old laptop. As the surface pro is alot more powerful and portable. ;)

Edit: just got it. Plus I saved $25. I was able to get an open box type cover in perfect condition for $105. Can't wait to get home and start setting things up. Stoked!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 10837

Call me crazy..lol I'm returning my new N7 and going to get 128gb surface with type cover. On the way back to best buy now. I gotta have it. Playtime over. Time to get some real power in the form of I5.

Reading most of this thread helped convince me. It's an investment but a good one. This will replace my several year old laptop. As the surface pro is alot more powerful and portable. ;)

Edit: just got it. Plus I saved $25. I was able to get an open box type cover in perfect condition for $105. Can't wait to get home and start setting things up. Stoked!

You can buy whatever you want but in my opinion this late in the product life cycle, you can buy a brand new unopened 128GB Pro with cover for $600-700 instead of $1100. Or wait for the second generation coming this year that will be more refined with better hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:

demandarin

You can buy whatever you want but in my opinion this late in the product life cycle, you can buy a brand new unopened 128GB Pro with cover for $600-700 instead of $1100. Or wait for the second generation coming this year that will be more refined with better hardware.

N where would you find one brand new that cheap? I got mines at the new reduced price. Didn't the pro version just come out only few months ago? I like it. Its on a whole other level compared to my android tablets. Nexus 7 and galaxy note 10.1

D

Deleted member 10837

Last edited by a moderator:

FFX

I like this post from the above:

>>WON at company picnic BUT DONT NEED cause i already have IPad, WANT TO SELL~CHEAP<<

Well how about that, I could never have guessed. Color me surprised. Still you spend your days at a Surface forum, replaying to every thread there is.

dlacaba

Bought it mainly for Inking feature, but I rarely use it now. It was meant to be a laptop replacement for an old laptop. Definately gets the job done. I'm a developer, so it's good to be able to develop in different environments using Hyper-V. I may even get into IOS development and install Mountain Lion in a VM and developer from there, but for now, it's mainly Windows .NET Development and PHP Web Development. I know most would complain about screen real estate in developing, but that's what the mini display port is for.

One other thing I never thought about when buying it, is that it's now my portable gaming machine. I used to use my modded XBox as an old arcade machine to play old videogames, but now I just use the Surface, I can hook it up to any tv, plug in a controller, Instant gaming system.