What's new

Why I'm getting an iPad Pro but it could have been prevented

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Edit: this somehow posted before I even finished the first sentence... ;)

My last experience with iPad was less than satisfying but I'm going to try an iPad Pro (probably 9.7) very simply because Intel exited the Smartphone & Tablet market. I'll probably look for an Android based tablet as well hopefully something will come out soon with a SoC competitive with the A9X like a Snapdragon 820 or better.

Someone needs to communicate a direction forward very soon, if there is one, for existing products based on Atom SoCs. Not just Microsoft but other vendors as well, Maybe this need to start with Intel clarifying their own direction but the longer it lingers the worse it will be.

I have an SP3 and Surface 3 (returned the SP4 months ago because it was crap then) but I prefer the Surface 3 size and lighter weight (although would like an even lighter version). Currently it's not clear what the future of Surface 3 or any Atom based Windows Tablets will be if there is any. I was not overly pleased with the performance of the Surface 3 because of unpredictable lags, it was barely tolerable but frustrating at the same time.

Regardless many will be making decisions on purchases for the coming year(s) and based on current conditions at this moment FUD (Fear Uncertainty & Doubt) will drive a move to other devices (Droids-n-Pads). My role, such as it is, is to work with what's available to achieve goals regardless of the conditions. So I must adapt to the conditions at hand.

I cannot imagine Intel made this decision without any advance notice to their prime partners...

There's more... but I'll just update to here for now... since my post was "leaked" early :)

Last edited:

jrioux

...I'll probably look for an Android based tablet as well hopefully something will come out soon with a SoC competitive with the A9X like a Snapdragon 820 or better...
Let us know what you find and decide. The Pixel C and Samsung S2 look good on paper.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let us know what you find and decide. The Pixel C and Samsung S2 look good on paper.
I hear the speed of the Pixel is sad considering the hardware and the software sucks on it so skipping the Pix on this round and the S2 has a slower 54xx SoC which is why I'm waiting for something to come out with a high end ARM SoC like the 820 or similar. If it wasn't for the 5433 in the S2 I'd have one already.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Grey - This doesn't surprise me as you have been enamored with ARM Tablets and SoCs since I've known you... For Intel they dumped $10 Billion on Mobile and failed miserably. Their money is going to made in the Datacenter and in the Cloud. The largest share of their PC income is coming from the Core SoC lines....

jrioux

BTW, what could have prevented you from getting an iPP? Better Android options? A 1 pound 10" Win 10 tablet/2in1 with a Core m chip?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
To be fair, should that not be 'Wintel'? 'Winvidia' did not do so well either.
Unfortunately for MS they created 2 OS that worked pretty well on Mobile but Intel struggled with the Power Management and Drivers....

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's why I feel the Pixel C is not ready : Revisiting The Google Pixel C - Better, But Not There Yet
Maybe version 2 will be better.

Other Android tablets mostly are using older technology with the Sony Xperia Z4 using last years Snapdragon 810 seems to be the most up to date currently. I suppose declining tablet sales is having an effect here, but I'm not inclined to go for a Samsung tablet with a two year old SoC (Snapdragon 800) or Exynos 5433 which has been around since the Note 4.

I'm hopeful new tablets will be coming with up to date technology.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
BTW, what could have prevented you from getting an iPP? Better Android options? A 1 pound 10" Win 10 tablet/2in1 with a Core m chip?
Either of those would have worked. IMO the Core m would be fine in 3W SDP mode. I know many would complain because it wouldn't be the top performer in it's class of Core m's but it would still be a significant jump from the Atom X7. Maybe the Kaby Lake Core m will do even better but this is where Intel struggles the most, in the low power range.

There is essentially a blank roadmap for the future at present for anything under 12".

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Slightly off topic:
Perhaps we can look forward to the Consumer X86 in the Cloud/Android in the Cloud/Any App in the Cloud solution for - AAAAoAD - Any App Anywhere Anytime on Any Device - (phone, tablet, PC, toaster/refrigerator, whatever). {I know I just stole somebody's tag line.} ;) in the meantime we have to make do with what we have now.

Note: The cloud doesn't have to be a distant cloud it could be just behind your screen in an all in one device.

Legacy always holds you back - i.e. The marketplace wont let you move on from the old, yet only embraces the new from someone or something else.