What's new

Why would you EVER preorder??

cardinalryan

I say this because I did preorder the SP3 and now I am totally frustrated that the device is going to be in stock on Friday for any person to walk in and buy yet I will not receive my preorder until next week.

Look, at the end of the day, I know that it really won't matter that I get mine next week as opposed to Friday, but sorry, it does suck to want to be a part of the launch day excitement and get left out in the cold despite the fact that you were basically in line long before most of the people that will snag their SP3's on Friday.

I just see no reward to loyal customers who weeks ago put the guarantee down that they'll buy. It just seems out of whack to me.

Lesson learned I guess. This will be my last preorder...I will just go to the store on launch day for future items, but that doesn't help me in this case.

mtalinm

I guess you can tweet about how you preordered. or if you live somewhere remove I guess. otherwise i'm not sure.

btw this is the first Surface Pro that I am not buying on launch day. too many glitches in the reviews, plus I'll wait for i7. and the trade-in program this time around is lamer.

mohcho

What model did you pre-order? I normally don't pre-order items either, but the desire to obtain the device on launch day, without having to line up or deal with potential crowds is critical.

cbrooker

Ya, I've been thinking the same thing. I preordered at the MS online store May 21st. By no means the first person, but not too long after it was announced.

My card's been charged, and tracker number sent (but not active, it's been 32 hours). At this point I'm totally at the mercy of the shipping company (UPS). Having had many bad experiences, that scares me.

If I didn't preorder, I'm 100% positive I could walk into the MS Store at 8am Friday morning and get one no problem. Having already been billed, I'd have to buy it twice and return the shipped one which is a hassle.

Why did I chose to sit in my office all day hoping UPS brings it on time?

Next time I won't preorder unless preorders get it days before walk-ins. Just not worth being at the mercy of shipping companies.

pbaird

I don't live anywhere near a Microsoft Store, so I pre-ordered. My card was just charged, so just crossing fingers now. Ironically, if it doesn't get delivered on Friday, I will be out of town in Houston on Monday and drive right past the Microsoft Store....

OP
C

cardinalryan

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you get one, that's all that matters.
I totally disagree with this. Launch day is part of the excitement and if you pre-ordered you obviously were stoked about the device. In the grand scheme of things, you are correct, but part of pre-ordering should be that you receive the device on launch day.

mohcho: I ordered the i5, 128GB w/dark blue keyboard.

Seneleron

Why would you EVER preorder??

I had this whole rant about launch day delivery and entitlement, but I scrapped it for the following:

"to guarantee your place in line for procurement of an item that may or may not be hard to get your hands on in the early days of it's release"

No matter how badly I want launch day delivery, that is NOT why I pre-ordered. I did it to claim a unit as "mine" before first production delivery bankrupted.

Only reason I'm thinking of pre-ordering a i7 model from TigerDirect is I live in WA and we have BestBuy, Amazon, CDW and obviously Microsoft here. Going through TigerDirect saves me about $150 in sales tax (dont' have to pay it) so that will pay for the keyboard. I won't get it on launch day but not too worried about it.

WorldIRC

I am going on a trip somewhere with lower sales tax, but no M$ store. By pre-ordering, I get both the EDU discount and the lower tax rate thus saving me over $200, and it will be shipped right to my hotel for me.

daddyaggie

I say this because I did preorder the SP3 and now I am totally frustrated that the device is going to be in stock on Friday for any person to walk in and buy yet I will not receive my preorder until next week.

Look, at the end of the day, I know that it really won't matter that I get mine next week as opposed to Friday, but sorry, it does suck to want to be a part of the launch day excitement and get left out in the cold despite the fact that you were basically in line long before most of the people that will snag their SP3's on Friday.

I just see no reward to loyal customers who weeks ago put the guarantee down that they'll buy. It just seems out of whack to me.

Lesson learned I guess. This will be my last preorder...I will just go to the store on launch day for future items, but that doesn't help me in this case.
- Let's hope that you receive it on the 20th versus it being shipped that day. According to numerous people on this site, that has been the case with the previous Surface's. I am like you, if I don't receive mine on Friday (I pre-ordered like you just a few days ago,and my card was charged today), I'm screwed, because I'm having surgery on Monday and won't even be home until next Thur or Fri at the earliest. I gambled after reading all the posts saying it would arrive on the 20th....