What's new

Why would you EVER preorder??

bradhaak

I pre-ordered because I live in Silicon Valley, the land of geeks, and I know that it will be sold out by noon in every store that has it. I have an all day conference on Saturday that has banned keyboards because of the noise, so I want to give the pen a workout.

Pre-ordering was the only way to guarantee that I would have it on Friday.

godson594

Yea - I mean wth is the point of pre ordering if you aren't going to get the device on launch day. I totally get what the OP is saying…

CrippsCorner

I have an all day conference on Saturday that has banned keyboards because of the noise, so I want to give the pen a workout..

Random! What are people meant to do in general? Pen and paper
confused.png

Hardcore73

I will tell you why you preordered. I didn't preorder my Surface Pro 2 last year and it was SOLD out everywhere. I went to my Best Buy and they had 2 (yes only 2) of them shipped to store. I drove around like a maniac and went 1.5 hours from my house to a remote Staples and they had 1 in stock.
I will never again risk not getting my Precious on release day :)
If your dying to play with one that bad, go buy one at Best Buy tomorrow morning and return it after you get yours from Microsoft...

scottysize

So, I preordered so it'd be sitting at my door today and I don't have to go into any store and pick one up. (at least that's what UPS is telling me.) Also, I was able to take advantage of the student 10% discount by ordering online, so double bonus.

Saul

Isn't there also already a 10% discount for the pre-order? (one of the main mods here was saying that the other day)
So, there's 10% for the pre-order, plus 10% for the student discount... if you're eligible ofc ;-)

Seneleron

And now, a small rant.

What I said:

"to guarantee your place in line for procurement of an item that may or may not be hard to get your hands on in the early days of it's release"

And I meant it. So when I found out my SP3 was out for delivery, but my blue Type cover 3 was 2 weeks backordered, i was a little . . . upset. I went to my Best Buy, and they directed me to another location 30 miles away that got a shipment of 34 for launch. When I pre-order an item almost a month in advance, you as a company should MAKE SURE YOU HOLD ENOUGH STOCK TO COVER THOSE PRE-ORDERS.

/rant

In the end, it cost me $5.00 in gas and an hour out of my day. Doesn't seem like much, but when one pre-orders, one does NOT expect to have to scramble at the last second. Ultimately, it justified the O/P's question, because if I HADN'T pre-ordered, I'd be typing this on my SP3 with the type cover I wanted, instead of waiting for UPS, and while I still would have had to travel a half an hour out of my way, I'd have planned for it instead of having to rush scramble.

O/P, you win this round ^^

Last edited:

matteosaeed

I say this because I did preorder the SP3 and now I am totally frustrated that the device is going to be in stock on Friday for any person to walk in and buy yet I will not receive my preorder until next week.

Look, at the end of the day, I know that it really won't matter that I get mine next week as opposed to Friday, but sorry, it does suck to want to be a part of the launch day excitement and get left out in the cold despite the fact that you were basically in line long before most of the people that will snag their SP3's on Friday.

I just see no reward to loyal customers who weeks ago put the guarantee down that they'll buy. It just seems out of whack to me.

Lesson learned I guess. This will be my last preorder...I will just go to the store on launch day for future items, but that doesn't help me in this case.

Actually, I have a pretty interesting story with the Microsoft store online. I Pre-Ordered the i5 256 surface on June 17th. I got the e-mail saying it will ship June 20. I noticed on June 20 that I did not get an e-mail confirming my surface 3 shipped. Chatted with the Microsoft store online, and it was a bloody mess. After all, they told me ordered placed on the 17th will ship the 30th, and ordered placed on or before the 16th would ship on the 20th. I asked if they would ever notify me and they gave me the apologies! I pushed to cancel my order since best buy (25 minutes away from me) had the surface in stock. I canceled it drove to best buy, and bought it!

Microsoft seems to lack a lot of sales management! Funny speaking, they said that I'll not be charged until the product ships, and I was charged the same night!

Hstakz

I say this because I did preorder the SP3 and now I am totally frustrated that the device is going to be in stock on Friday for any person to walk in and buy yet I will not receive my preorder until next week.

Look, at the end of the day, I know that it really won't matter that I get mine next week as opposed to Friday, but sorry, it does suck to want to be a part of the launch day excitement and get left out in the cold despite the fact that you were basically in line long before most of the people that will snag their SP3's on Friday.

I just see no reward to loyal customers who weeks ago put the guarantee down that they'll buy. It just seems out of whack to me.

Lesson learned I guess. This will be my last preorder...I will just go to the store on launch day for future items, but that doesn't help me in this case.

sigh...First world problems.smh

Jvette

I checked the local Best Buy stores Friday evening and both in my town had both SP3's in stock for pick up.