What's new

Solved widi problems

Nagyn

Hi,

I am having problems with Wide, connecting a push2tv box. The Push2TV box is working fine.

However I can't seem to connect with my SP3. I did connect earlier in the week just fine. However when I tried today it won't work.

When I click on charms > devices > project it should come with the option to connect to wireless display. Instead it acts like it has a monitor installed.

It was in my devices list so I removed it. When I did a new scan it found it, and asked for WPS key which the Push2TV provided on the screen (so it definitely connected). It then didn't appear in my device list and since then I can't find it again.

I have seem the WiFi complaints and have tried all those fixes, still not working.

Any ideas?

Troty

malberttoo

I just want to be clear that you're talking about Intel WiDi? If so, I'm pretty sure the SP3 can't do it, because it doesn't have an Intel wireless adapter...

malberttoo

Ok, so WiDi is a completely different product than Miracast, so I wanted to clear that up first and make sure we were talking about the same thing.

Have you rebooted your SP3 since the problem started?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
From the MUI Device Settings remove the PTV and then add a wireless display....

Also, do you have any pending Updates or have you changed any drivers such as the Intel Video Driver or rolled-back the WLAN Driver?

malberttoo

I see we stepped on each other's post there. I've only used WiDi on other machines and not Miracast, but I do have a Miracast adapter kicking around here in the office. Let me play around with it a bit and get a feel for it.

But if you already did contact tech support and they say you should restore the machine, I can't necessarily argue with that. It fixed a lot of issues on my SP3.

snd_fx

I used mine last week with no issues. I can't remember the name of the model, but I use a netgear device thats around the same shape/size of an appletv or roku box. I'll edit when I find the name

edit: Netgear NeoTV

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
On the Miracast vs. WiDi confusion - some clarification:

Intel WiDi v. 3.5 or earlier is a proprietary implementation of Wireless HDMI using Intel's implementation of WiFi Direct - This technology was found on Sandybridge Core Machines and earlier running Windows 7.

Intel WiDi v. 4.x and later is 100% compatible with the latest Miracast Standard, so devices running on IvyBridge or later can use WiDi or Miracast.

The Surface Devices uses Miracast as it uses a Marvell WLAN Adapter but uses Intel WiDi Drivers for Video and Wireless USB. The Surface 2 is a pure Miracast Device.

OP
N

Nagyn

From the MUI Device Settings remove the PTV and then add a wireless display....

Not sure what MUI device setting meaning,. But I have removed it from the charms> setting > change pc setting > pc and devices > devices

I can't add it back in as it can't find it now.

Also, do you have any pending Updates or have you changed any drivers such as the Intel Video Driver or rolled-back the WLAN Driver?

All uptodate. I tried rolling back the WLAN drivers. No difference.