What's new

Solved wifi uses alot of CPU?

I noticed when my one cloud was syncing, and was dloading heavy to my device (802.11AC and running about 50Mbps) the fan would kick on and CPU use would be 80-100%. should it be like that?

leeshor

Probably. I'm seeing the same thing syncing IMAP on desktops. Syncing will do that if there is a lot to sync. Syncing is actually a multi step process of looking at everything on both sides to see if anything needs to come or go. There's more going on then most people realize.

OP
S

starstreak

So once its synced, it shouldn't need to do that everytime, right? I don't have my charger and it went from 94%-75% and still syncing the IMAP apple account in outlook. :) I'll probably stay out of Outlook till I get home.

leeshor

Normally it would only do a complete sync if you made a major change like moving a folder or a large number of files - or an account change. Once it has caught up it shouldn't be a big issue going forward.

I just ran into this with a customer and his system will take hours to fully sync the first time, over 10GB.

OP
S

starstreak

Yup that was it. Got home, and let it connect. Got hot, fan was on, but finished in about 5-10mins. wasn't keeping track. :)