What's new

Wiindows 8.x and Things I Miss

Bandito

One thing that I really miss when running apps in the modern UI is having the time displayed on the screen. Now I no longer have a quick and convenient way to monitor the time while using the SP3. It's a small thing, I know, but it sure does change the experience, and not for the better, from what has always been there for years and years.

I also miss not being able to monitor any aspects of the system, such as CPU load, battery status, and whatnot.

I know that I can swipe to open the charms menu and get some of this information, but it is an extra step that detracts from what I'm doing.

<Sigh>... well, that progress, I guess. :(

OP
Bandito

Bandito

Thanks for the tip, dmf. I'll try it out, but it kinda seems weird to have to go backwards in operating system-land in order to get well-established functionality, no? :)

dmf

Yes, agreed... But, it's definitely the way to go. Takes the effort out of the learning curve by providing a familiar user interface.

FlySwatter

You may download a software called START8 that will return many of the familiar features most of us missed from Windows 7, but you will still keep the Windows 8 features as well. I've put it on my SP3 and my wife's laptop w/ W8.

http://download.cnet.com/Start8/3000-2072_4-75732532.html
I pimp Start8 at every opportunity to the masses at work who complain about their Win8 experience. You can google Windows 8 Start Menu Replacement and get freebies that work well also, however, Stardock's Start8 is superior to all of them, and I believe in rewarding a good software developer monetarily. As I recall, it's a $4.99 purchase, plus has a 30 day free trial. You can still use the Metro interface to your heart's content if you want, but the additional convenience of having the Windows 7 Desktop Experience is important for a lot of folks who have not embraced Microsoft's "New Windows". It's the best of both worlds IMO.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I share this issue. I can't stand full screen apps. I want to be able to glance down and see what I've got going on, what time it is, if I've a folder open I'll be needing shortly etc. Start8 certainly proved useful for the desktop, but I still w/o t use modernui until that's sorted

FlySwatter

Why do you think it's superior to free Classic Shell; tried them both and I prefer the Classic Shell.... I know it's just preferences but free IS free :cool:.

http://www.classicshell.net/
Well, you got me there. :oops: I shouldn't have made such a blanket statement, since obviously, I couldn't have tried every single alternative out there. I did try quite a few, and decided upon Start8 for myself. A brief look at your link certainly shows Classic Shell off quite nicely, so I have no reason to recommend against it with no further knowledge. It appears to be a nice find. <insert non-existent thumbs-up smiley face here>

Start8 looks great but how does that help the OP? Does Start8 provide a date and time overlay when running a MUI app? That would be cool.

FlySwatter

Start8 looks great but how does that help the OP? Does Start8 provide a date and time overlay when running a MUI app? That would be cool.
I doubt (emphasis on doubt) there's an MS supported way to provide an overlay that would allow information display on top of any and all running Metro apps. If you're willing to settle for just seeing the date and time while on the Metro start screen, I'm reasonably sure there are apps that show this information in a live tile. That's as close as I can suggest, and still be in the world of Metro.