What's new

Will Leap Motion save Windows 8?

mitchellvii

Quite possibly.

Windows 8 is a generally pleasant experience for touch users. The problem is that 95% of desktop users don't have touch screens, and that's the rub as they say.

But for $80 USD, the Leap Motion Controller will turn any legacy monitor into a touchscreen. The implications of this for Windows 8 cannot be overstated. If touchscreen technology can become ubiquitous and MS makes the necessary tweaks for mouse users (because some apps like Office just need a mouse) in Windows Blue, Windows 8 could end up being very successful with people who actually activate licenses as opposed to those who only buy them for resale. We'll see.

[video=youtube;KBNm0NKBRvw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBNm0NKBRvw[/video]

machistmo

I don't think this will "single-handedly save Windows 8." The market is just now moving full-steam-ahead to touch. Intel is making touch a requirement as part of Ultra Book 3 specs. Touch pricing is about to bottom out as production of the screens ramps up to fill this new requirement. I don't see people lugging that controller around with them or using that on any mobile device. A plane, bus, or even car ride would be a disaster with that device. Its a specialty device and while it may be cool, its not going to save Windows 8.

big%20smile.png

The current crop of touch Monitors available is a direct result of the high price of the screens. As time goes along, touch monitors will be the mainstream. Touch is the future, not the past. Be water my friend! Touch.

[video=youtube;CBdgUrixEsU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBdgUrixEsU[/video]

*it should be note that I resisted the temptation to reply to the "single-handedly save windows 8" comment with simply : Cupcake, cupcake.*

Last edited:

Arizona Willie

I have my doubts that they can bring this device to market. They broke several delivery dates and I cancelled my pre-orders. The last I knew they had it working in some games but were having difficulty making it take the place of a mouse for ordinary daily work.

I was very enthusiastic and waited almost a year through 3 missed delivery dates and when they shoved it back the 4th time, I cancelled.

Perhaps if Microsoft bought them they might have programmers talented enough to make it work.
Or one of the big gaming companies.

But the Leap people put it out for volunteer -- would be -- programmers to make the thing work.
Not too successfully from what I saw before I quit visiting the site.

Last edited:

Arizona Willie

machimso: before I abandoned all hope on Leap and cancelled my pre-orders they had an agreement with ASUS to build the technology into a laptop coming out later this year. Also, I believe Dell has gotten in the act and is going to use it.

But I have my doubts that they will ever get it to work well.

machistmo

machimso: before I abandoned all hope on Leap and cancelled my pre-orders they had an agreement with ASUS to build the technology into a laptop coming out later this year. Also, I believe Dell has gotten in the act and is going to use it.

But I have my doubts that they will ever get it to work well.

Ouch man - its Machistmo , you're killing me here.

DOS

It seems as though this technology needs a bit more work. However, the "Logitech Rechargeable Touchpad T650 with Windows 8 Multi-Touch Navigation" from Amazon looks promising.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Ugh, you people have no vision.

Let me explain how this will play out. There are so many things wrong with the idea of actually "touching" a screen with our fat oily fingers. History will look back upon touchscreens as a transitional technology. Technology like Leap Motion IS the future. You can "touch" with far more precision that your fat fingers. In addition you can control the action on your screen with all 10 fingers without your hands covering what you are doing.

The BIGGEST problem facing touchscreens for desktop use is that so many people already have perfectly good non-touch screens they won't be replacing anytime soon. Leap Motion allows all of those legacy monitor owners to quickly and easily have BETTER touch control than some overpriced touch monitor. Also, Leap Motion is already partnering with hardware makers to have their technology built in. Can you imagine a laptop or smart phone with Leap Motion built in where you would never have to actually touch your screen? Within 2 years this technology will ubiquitous.

Many people point to the film "Minority Report" as justification for where touch is going and why Modern UI is so revolutionary. EXACTLY, and do you see anyone on Minority Report actually "touching" a screen? No you don't. Why the hell would I buy a $300 touch monitor when I can make my current monitor BETTER than your touch monitor for $80?

Touch is dying, air gesture is the future. I have spoken, sit and be amazed as it comes true.

Last edited:

machistmo

Touch is not dying. It is just getting started. Touch is not going anywhere and the gestures are not practical in their current state. Maybe for near touch or something but not as it now. This stuff has come and gone in so many forms. Touch is there, touch works. Its not going anywhere. Sit and watch as more and more devices offer touch, not the reverse.

machistmo

It seems as though this technology needs a bit more work. However, the "Logitech Rechargeable Touchpad T650 with Windows 8 Multi-Touch Navigation" from Amazon looks promising.

We had a couple of similar devices at work and even the die hard Windows8 guy in our group hated it and shipped his back to the depot.

machistmo

Besides think of all the people that will out of work if the screen clear and terrycloth towels and no longer needed.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Besides think of all the people that will out of work if the screen clear and terrycloth towels and no longer needed.

Think of all the poor unemployed doctors when we cure cancer.

You just cant let go of touch because you spent so much money on your monitor, stickers and all. Your vision of the future is clouded by your need to rationalize your financial decisions. Free your mind. Walk away from the past and embrace the future grasshopper.

Last edited: