What's new

Will you go MS all the way to phone if you already have surface book?

kristalsoldier

I will, as it'll allow me to bypass my thethering limit when at home :)

So long as there is a natwest, flashlight, and viber app, then the whole app store thing is irrelevant to me :) for me it is basically continuum and the camera, that's me sold.

I can relate to this. As long I have my banking app (which is available), my favoured airline app (which is also available), a couple of messaging apps (Telegram and Whatsapp which are both available), a couple of communication apps (Skype and Viber which are available), some news apps (MS News, TOI, Guardian which are all available), a couple of dedicated e-reading apps (Book Viser and Book Bazaar which are available) and other some sundry apps (Readit, NextGen Reader, Poki, Health, etc., which are all available), the app store is irrelevant to me.

That said, I am not sure this Continuum capability will be useful for me at the moment because I am a 3-device guy and my devices are the SP3 (at the moment and for sometime in the future augmented with the new Pen, the KB and the Dock), the S3 (which is my pure tablet) and my Win phones (the 1520 and the 640XL Dual SIM).

Ideally, I would like to consolidate the phones into a single unit - so, the 950XL (with Dual SIM) would be ideal!

Edit: So, while I won't be getting a SB, I am in the MS eco-system and since I love the concept and the form factor of the Surface Pro 3, I will opt for that when I will upgrade in the near future.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can relate to this. As long I have my banking app (which is available), my favoured airline app (which is also available), a couple of messaging apps (Telegram and Whatsapp which are both available), a couple of communication apps (Skype and Viber which are available), some news apps (MS News, TOI, Guardian which are all available), a couple of dedicated e-reading apps (Book Viser and Book Bazaar which are available) and other some sundry apps (Readit, NextGen Reader, Poki, Health, etc., which are all available), the app store is irrelevant to me.

That said, I am not sure this Continuum capability will be useful for me at the moment because I am a 3-device guy and my devices are the SP3 (at the moment and for sometime in the future augmented with the new Pen, the KB and the Dock), the S3 (which is my pure tablet) and my Win phones (the 1520 and the 640XL Dual SIM).

Ideally, I would like to consolidate the phones into a single unit - so, the 950XL (with Dual SIM) would be ideal!

Edit: So, while I won't be getting a SB, I am in the MS eco-system and since I love the concept and the form factor of the Surface Pro 3, I will opt for that when I will upgrade in the near future.

I have to agree concerning continuum. I can't actually see that much benefit to most. If there is already a screen, keyboard and mouse, chances are there is also a computer. With most documents being saved to the cloud these days, why not just use the computer. If it is just to plug it into a big screen to watch a film you've downloaded etc, then i'd just use miracast. I'm in an unusual situation where my only form of internet is through my phone (with a tethering limit) so this will allow me to be able to do my research and referencing at home without having to worry about my tether limit. If i had internet, then continuum would be irrelevant. Using MHL to plug an android phone into a screen really isn't a comparison. Android on large screens i just comical. It simply mirrors. Windows 10 is going to scale and actually be usable.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Continuum Use case - Mobile Employees who needs Office and Sales Force or CRM and custom Universal Apps deliver legacy apps via VDI or Remote App - Buy them a 950 or 950XL and 2 docks - they now only need to support one device through MDM. Lower TCO than a tablet or laptop.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Continuum Use case - Mobile Employees who needs Office and Sales Force or CRM and custom Universal Apps deliver legacy apps via VDI or Remote App - Buy them a 950 or 950XL and 2 docks - they now only need to support one device through MDM. Lower TCO than a tablet or laptop.

That makes sense. I'm simply looking at it from a consumer side. two very different discussions (e.g how important is flappy bird and netflix for a business purchase compared to a consumer purchase)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That makes sense. I'm simply looking at it from a consumer side. two very different discussions (e.g how important is flappy bird and netflix for a business purchase compared to a consumer purchase)
950 and 950XL are designed for two markets....Windows Phone fans who want a flagship and the enterprise space

Telstar1948

Frankly, if MS offers a phone with a pen-able screen, I'll be interested. Until that occurs, I'll hang onto the Note series phones. Going W10 across the board is fine with me, but I want the note capability on the phone.

kristalsoldier

Frankly, if MS offers a phone with a pen-able screen, I'll be interested. Until that occurs, I'll hang onto the Note series phones. Going W10 across the board is fine with me, but I want the note capability on the phone.

I hear ya! For the longest while I was thinking about the same thing. But - this was till I picked up the S3. Using the Pen that came with the SP3, the S3 has become my go-to writing device, which makes a phone with Pen capabilities a bit redundant in my use case scenario - though I am sure other folks (like you) have a more defined need for inking capabilities on a phone.

Telstar1948

I don't carry my SP3 with me everywhere, so having my Note 3 with OneNote is great for miscellaneous notes and quick stuff. I don't have to sit in endless meetings as some do, which would make the S3 or even my SP3 more desirable as a note machine. If my use case were to change where I took more notes during a normal day, I would probably consider the S3 since it's easier to pack around than the SP's.

EMINENT

Absolutely. Looking forward to seamlessly pick up a text on either device and even the pc from the 950xl. That and Windows Hello on the phone will make for a pretty nice upgrade from my 830. And, I didn't get a Book, but got an SP4. Needed more of a tablet 80% of time.

OP
B

bangsters

I think I also fall into that category too where it's more for business than flappy birds. Just don't see the point of continuum if I already have the book.

Btw doesn't the lumia 950 and xl support the surface pen? I thought I read somewhere that it works??

Tsurugaya

I'm a mobile productivity geek. Like Telstar I need a penabled device but the 950 XL with the Dock was very tempting.I guess if it came with an 8" foldable screen (turning it into a 16" monitor) that would be driven by the USB-C connection and a Foldable Universal Bluetooth Keyboard I'd be all over it, like a fly on horse manure.