What's new

Win 10 Pro AU Very Slow Boot

When I boot, the Surface logo remains on the screen for a full 2 minutes before it boots. On my wife's machine, same machine, same OS, it boots much faster.

Any suggestions?

OP
S

Silver0066

Are you implying that the Surface logo remaining on the screen for 2 minutes before it boots is normal for the Surface Pro?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm fairly sure he was just making a joke, i.e let your wife have the dodgy one :) Your first post pretty much shows that it is not normal, hence the huge discrepancy.

So no, it is not normal. It only takes about 20 seconds from power button to being logged in for me. As to a solution, no idea, as have never encountered it other than in the early days of the windows 10 insider program and that was random and got fixed by updates or something.

OP
S

Silver0066

I'm fairly sure he was just making a joke, i.e let your wife have the dodgy one :) Your first post pretty much shows that it is not normal, hence the huge discrepancy.

So no, it is not normal. It only takes about 20 seconds from power button to being logged in for me. As to a solution, no idea, as have never encountered it other than in the early days of the windows 10 insider program and that was random and got fixed by updates or something.
So, do I just have to live with this?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

Only if you want to. I'm no expert so am just guessing, but it could be that your machine has something that windows is trying to load up on boot that your wife's doesn't. Alternatively it could just be something wrong with the operating system that a system restore might fix, or if possible, roll back the update and install again. Given you've paid a premium for a high end ssd in the system, I wouldn't put up with a 2 minute boot time. You should be able to enjoy what you've paid for. Hopefully someone more knowleagable might step in with some ideas, but there are a lot of google results about slow boot times on win 10 which might offer some ideas.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
We would need to look into your BCD File and/or boot order, have you changed anything? Have you looked at the Event Logs?

Last thing is a possible Hardware Failure such as the SSD has a bad/damaged NAND.