What's new

Windows 10 and battery life

Rich OReilly

I tried using
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
This download includes a simple batch file (mvps.bat) that will rename the existing HOSTS file to HOSTS.MVP then copy the included updated HOSTS file to the proper location

Still having the same issue with not coneecting to internet.
Rebooted several times
Waited 20 min
DNS Client to Manual (Per MVP Site directions)

OP
macmee

macmee

I'm sorry that happened, but it has worked just fine for me and other users. The installer does nothing but automatically add some text into you hosts file, which you can also chose to do manually from the same site. It isn't some kind of hooky voodoo. I clearly stated that I experienced the same kind of thing following installing it, and had to leave it be for 10 minutes or so to work itself out, and at that point it was then perfect :)

You do know that to edit hosts files all you have to do is open notepad as an administrator right? Takes 60 seconds. (I mean in that you say you've edited them a million times in the past yet claim it'#ll take you a couple of hours to fix, you just open the file and delete the content..)

No, because the network services process was using the file, I was not allowed (as an administrator and not) to rename the file, edit the file, delete the file or anything. All I could do was change its permissions and stop it from being read only. To actually edit the file I had to boot into safe mode. Then I could modify it as an administrator. It took around 15 minutes to fix, not a few hours, although it was still pretty annoying. I still don't suggest using a convince executable to modify the file, I just don't trust it when I can do it myself.

To remove the Host file you need to turn off all the Services that are using it, Cryptography Service, DNS Client (you'll need to disable this until you remove the file, Bluetooth Service and the Foundation Services. After restoring the Host file to default re-enable the DNS Client and reboot...

The people who are having issues with the S3 and the Host file are seeing the problem due to the fact the file needs to be loaded into RAM and the eMMC is slower than the SSD on the SP3 so it takes awhile for it to load the file. It because the rest of the system is faster you may see limited connectivity with WiFi until it is loaded.

Thanks for the explanation, I'm assuming my machine was just in a bad state somehow when the Network Services process was trying to parse the file. After I went into safe mode to restore my original file, everything was working normally.

I used one of the other links above and manually replaced the file myself, and this resulted in no problems. Maybe the installer screwed up and swapped in a corrupted HOSTS file? I don't really know, but manually editing the file is the way to go moving forward I think.