Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
This is a known issue, and is expected to be remedied as Windows 10 emerges.

However, you could either do the unplug/plug of the power connector, or run this command with PowerShell (Admin):
powercfg -h off

Fixed it for me.

Screenshot (154).png

Screenshot (155).png

ScottyS

This is a known issue, and is expected to be remedied as Windows 10 emerges.

However, you could either do the unplug/plug of the power connector, or run this command with PowerShell (Admin):
powercfg -h off

Fixed it for me.
So this means the problem is the screen staying off when it comes out of hibernate, and not a problem coming out of hibernate itself because the plug or unplug brings the screen on instantly while it takes several seconds to come out of hibernate itself.

Does powercfg -h off prevent it from entering hibernate after 4 hours of connected standby?

wynand32

So this means the problem is the screen staying off when it comes out of hibernate, and not a problem coming out of hibernate itself because the plug or unplug brings the screen on instantly while it takes several seconds to come out of hibernate itself.

Does powercfg -h off prevent it from entering hibernate after 4 hours of connected standby?

Mine has the issue even when waking it up (i.e., getting the screen to turn on) after as little as probably <10 minutes after it went to sleep. So for me, at least, it's not specifically a hibernation problem.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... Does powercfg -h off prevent it from entering hibernate after 4 hours of connected standby?

Yes, I believe that 'hibernate' (a deep sleep) is blocked. Microsoft's compicated logic needs to be fixed. Not sure it will work every time or for every user.

B

B'midbar

Yes, I believe that 'hibernate' (a deep sleep) is blocked. Microsoft's compicated logic needs to be fixed. Not sure it will work every time or for every user.

Ah, forgot about that one on this second pass at Win10TP. Always do a "powercfg -h off" on my Windows machines. Every little gigabyte counts.

bluegrass

Partitioning doesn't have anything to do with optimization anyway. I think you may be confusing defragging with partitioning.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Upgraded to Java 8 Update 31 today and noticed a dramatic performance improvement with Internet Explorer.
Don't know why I didn't try this before. I also don't know what Java version (if any) I had before now. Never thought about it since taking the Windows 10 plunge in October, 2014.

Screenshot (158).png

B

B'midbar

Upgraded to Java 8 Update 31 today and noticed a dramatic performance improvement with Internet Explorer.
Don't know why I didn't try this before. I also don't know what Java version (if any) I had before now. Never thought about it since taking the Windows 10 plunge in October, 2014.

View attachment 5422

If only Internet Exploder had the add-ons and extensions ecosystem that Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome do.

wynand32

Okay, a specific question that's been bugging me... I installed Windows 10 9926 via clean install from ISO, after deleting all partitions and operating from a bare drive. Following the install, I had no devices that weren't recognized in Device Manager, and no hardware-related functionality that didn't seem to be working. So, I saw no need to install the SP3 driver pack from January.

I see that other folks _did_ install the driver pack. Was this because drivers actually weren't installed along with Windows 10 and the driver pack was necessary? Or was that just a default action? I'm wondering if I'm missing something because I didn't install the driver pack (perhaps that's why the 1/27/2015 hardware update didn't take on my machine, or somesuch)? Any insights appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.