Not open for further replies.
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@mitchellvii

Awwww shucks.
Since I'm an earth scientist, I have been collecting shots like this for a long time. I'm very picky about composition, content, and color. Images must be free of logos, watermarks, or copyright warnings either on the image or from the source. My search words (see below) are so simple, that I find wonderful amateur photography and art among the results.

I don't use an app. I use Google, of all things, with requiring the image to be larger than 2 MP (1600 x 1200). I store them in a OneDrive/pictures/WallpaperSP3/ folder, so they are always handy. Also, part of getting the whole effect of a good desktop wallpaper is in choosing a color for the Taskbar and title bars.

I usually use single, very simple keywords (note that I do not include the word "wallpaper")

Landscape
Nature
Texture
Map
Electronics
Science
Antique
Rustic
Romantic
Quiet
Earth
Land
Sea
Green
Sky
Rock
Pebble
Wet
HD

Screenshot (173).png

Screenshot (174).png

Screenshot (175).png

Screenshot (176).png

Screenshot (177).png

Screenshot (180).png

Last edited:

RémiM

@r0b123 A guy on the Insider forum told me that despite it was written that the MS Malicious Software Remove Tool won't work with the Technical Preview, it actually works.
I downloaded the x64 version, and I can confirm that it works well. No problem during the installation.

r0b123

@r0b123 A guy on the Insider forum told me that despite it was written that the MS Malicious Software Remove Tool won't work with the Technical Preview, it actually works.
I downloaded the x64 version, and I can confirm that it works well. No problem during the installation.

Good to know, thanks! Going to install this now. Its either an OS check and a fix on the text on the website, but I do hope they improve it for Win10TP.

lhauser

I use Macrium Reflect and a WinPE boot USB. Had a full 8.1 .rimg walking into 10 TP and used that to restore to where I was in about an hour. Re-flashing's no big deal, but I really hate the hours it takes me to re-install and configure all my apps. The preceding coupled with all my data being on the microSDHC (excluding VMs) and I'm back on 8.1 in an hour's time with my apps and data right where I left off.

My interest was the scaling on multiple monitors and 9926 nor any previous build has addressed that yet. That, coupled with the bluetooth issues was enough to wave me off. Will put TP back into a VM and ride it out from there.

What magic do you invoke to get the WinPE USB drive to boot? I've been trying to do this all weekend. I reinstalled Win 8.1 from the downloaded recovery image, got the machine back to a good spot as far as apps and configuration, made the Macrium recovery image and WinPE USB (selecting Windows PE 5.0 the first time, then again using Windows PE 4.0). When I try to reboot from the USB it tells me with the boot configuration.

B

B'midbar

What magic do you invoke to get the WinPE USB drive to boot? I've been trying to do this all weekend. I reinstalled Win 8.1 from the downloaded recovery image, got the machine back to a good spot as far as apps and configuration, made the Macrium recovery image and WinPE USB (selecting Windows PE 5.0 the first time, then again using Windows PE 4.0). When I try to reboot from the USB it tells me with the boot configuration.

"Create bootable media" on the icon menu should prompt to automatically download, install and use WinPE.

lhauser

"Create bootable media" on the icon menu should prompt to automatically download, install and use WinPE.

That's disappointing, since that does everything except create a USB stick that will boot. My recovery image USB boots, a WinPE stick I made with Rufus and QuickPE boots (the same drive I used for Macrium originally), but not the Macrium stick. At least that tells me I'm not missing something. Maybe I'll try a different drive. Thanks anyway!

malberttoo

That's disappointing, since that does everything except create a USB stick that will boot. My recovery image USB boots, a WinPE stick I made with Rufus and QuickPE boots (the same drive I used for Macrium originally), but not the Macrium stick. At least that tells me I'm not missing something. Maybe I'll try a different drive. Thanks anyway!

When I went back from 10 to 8.1, I had to use a different drive than the previously known-good drive I was using. It was weird for sure, but stranger things have happened.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
NOTE: I could put this in the Windows 10 forum, but I suspect most of the experience I am writing about here is related to a combination of the Surface Pro 3, and Windows 10.

PRINT AND SCAN WORKED VERY WELL

I had over 30 documents to scan and email today, some of which required editing. I am amazed at the flawless performance of my Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10 Build 9926, and an HP printer. I was worried, and just about left for my office in a snowstorm to do all this from there, remembering that I had no such success using the same players listed below, but with Windows 8.1. I have owned the printer for a few years, and it is nice to have something old work well with something new.

Here are the players:
- Surface Pro 3 i7 512
- Windows 10 Build 9926
- Comcast Xfinity X1 modem
- Extended WiFi with bridged Apple Airport Extreme, 5GHz
- HP 7610 printer, wirelessly connected and in a closet
- HP drivers for Windows 8.1
- My index finger

I placed all the documents in the hopper of the printer, pressed icons on the printer's small touch screen and my Surface was at the top of the list. My three MacBook computers were in the category: "Others". Scanning took about 10 seconds per page, and scanned documents were waiting for me in the .../Pictures/Scanned folder when I got back to the SP3.

Performance was good enough to write from home about. I hope this helps those just building a home office solution, perhaps searching for keywords like scanning, printing, wireless, Windows 10, and now I'll throw in: fanboy.

IMG_6142.JPG

IMG_6143.JPG

IMG_6144.JPG

IMG_6145.JPG

IMG_6146.JPG

IMG_6148.JPG

The HP software (made for Windows 8.1) is running flawlessly on my SP3 with Windows 10. Here are some screen shots showing what I would have done if I wanted to initiate the scan from the Surface Pro 3, rather than going to the printer.

Screenshot (181).png

Screenshot (182).png

Screenshot (183).png

I have now traveled long distances with the Surface Pro 3 several times, most recently to Europe. The SP3 with Windows 10 continues to serve me very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.