Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Like you, @wynand32, I did NOT install the driver pack, and am also working well.

The path I chose was to install Build 9926 using the PCSettings Updates, but as soon as things looked stable, I did a "Refresh".

Screenshot (159).png

Screenshot (169).png

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, a specific question that's been bugging me... I installed Windows 10 9926 via clean install from ISO, after deleting all partitions and operating from a bare drive. Following the install, I had no devices that weren't recognized in Device Manager, and no hardware-related functionality that didn't seem to be working. So, I saw no need to install the SP3 driver pack from January.

I see that other folks _did_ install the driver pack. Was this because drivers actually weren't installed along with Windows 10 and the driver pack was necessary? Or was that just a default action? I'm wondering if I'm missing something because I didn't install the driver pack (perhaps that's why the 1/27/2015 hardware update didn't take on my machine, or somesuch)? Any insights appreciated.
Earlier Builds didn't have the Marvell WiFi Driver so you were unable to download the missing Driver Update via Windows Update. 9926 has the Marvell Driver natively.

bluegrass

Upgraded to Java 8 Update 31 today and noticed a dramatic performance improvement with Internet Explorer.
Don't know why I didn't try this before. I also don't know what Java version (if any) I had before now. Never thought about it since taking the Windows 10 plunge in October, 2014.

View attachment 5422
I'll add another item that goes along with updating Java. My ex gave me a clue a few years ago that I've been doing ever since. Whenever I need to install something like that and many others, I go to ninite.com and it provides a way to install the latest versions of many common items, Java being one of them. Installing from ninite.com also assures you that you won't get any adware ect because it answers all those sneaky questions for you in such a way as not to bring in bad mojo. I'm going there right now and do Java just in case mine isn't up to the latest. If it is it will tell me so and not install it again.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I did a "Refresh" because incremental Build updates rely upon some of the files or settings of former builds. During testing of Windows 10 I may have unintentionally or intentionally changed a registry setting, or driver, or something else. I didn't want to block what Microsoft intended my experience to be.

ScottyS

Ah, forgot about that one on this second pass at Win10TP. Always do a "powercfg -h off" on my Windows machines. Every little gigabyte counts.
Yeah! Forgot about that. Just turned off hibernate and my free space on this Win10 partition jumped from 18GB to 24GB free.

B

B'midbar

I did a "Refresh" because incremental Build updates rely upon some of the files or settings of former builds. During testing of Windows 10 I may have unintentionally or intentionally changed a registry setting, or driver, or something else. I didn't want to block what Microsoft intended my experience to be.

Ah, I'm running the 15.36.14.64.4080 Intel drivers from the Surface Pro 3 Screen Calibration thread even on Win10TP because I still want the Intel HD Graphics panel so I don't want to mess with that. I know I'll have to give it up somewhere along the way, but I really like the calibration settings Gavin Lewarne gave us for the SP3. Found some good calibration settings for my AOC 2963 external monitor as well so right now both both panels running at native resolution with 100% and 150% scaling respectively and good gamut are looking really good.

Last edited by a moderator:

RémiM

Hi guys,

I had one of my first very small hickups with Win10 today.

For some reasons I usually turnoff Windows Defender. I was working at a café today and decided to turn it on while at the café.

I dont know why, but I was unable to turn the service on. Neither from the Defender panel nor from services.msc.

I got this error in return: Windows could not start the Windows Defender Service -- error 577 -- you've been infected or blablabla.

I don't use any antivirus/antimalware out of Defender, and I've never used anything else. My SP3 is clean of any virus or malware.

The only way I was able to turn the Defender service back was through the Security and Maintenance panel.

I updated the definitions, ran a quick scan and as expected no threat was found.

mitchellvii

@sharpcolorado,

If you don't post which app you use to get those AMAZING wallpapers or give us some DROPBOX love I'm going to recommend a lifetime SurfaceForum.net ban for you just for being selfish. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.