What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hello guys! and thank you for great forum! i just installed latest Preview build and i can say that everything is working perfect! i have just one question about all this preview/beta version, what will going to be after 15 April when Preview period is over? we need to reinstall windows 8.1 and wait till windows 10 official came out ? or we can keep Windows 10 preview and then to make a update to to official stable version?
You'll have another Build by then....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
so you think after Windows 10 Preview we can update to Stable Version of WIndows 10(official Released one)?
That is plan... its called Flighting and it one of the linchpins of Windows 10. The OS will be continuously updated with new feature sets as there will not be a Windows 11 under the current Strategy.

m0v1em4n

What happen to continuum ? thought the SP3 was suppose to change to tablet mode when detached from the keyboard, that don't seem to happen any more, in fact if I want to use tablet mode have to switch myself that can't be right can it :rolleyes: :D

SteveMac

I'm seeing a blue screen on boot after last weeks upgrade, once or twice on every boot cycle, still manages to boot.

I'm more inclined to reinstall rather than troubleshoot.

What is the best option to get things back to absolute fresh install?

A using the inbuilt reset capability, will this actually do what I want
B install from ISO, if this is the best option, did Microsoft update the downloadable ISO files (the main site doesn't seem to indicate anything). I also note the install.esd file in the recovery images on my device, I'm guessing this is something I might be able to use.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm seeing a blue screen on boot after last weeks upgrade, once or twice on every boot cycle, still manages to boot.

I'm more inclined to reinstall rather than troubleshoot.

What is the best option to get things back to absolute fresh install?

A using the inbuilt reset capability, will this actually do what I want
B install from ISO, if this is the best option, did Microsoft update the downloadable ISO files (the main site doesn't seem to indicate anything). I also note the install.esd file in the recovery images on my device, I'm guessing this is something I might be able to use.
Resetting should do what you need.....

Haldi

i've been booting win10 from a .vhdx and it seems to work fine.

there is but one thing that really bothers me on windows 10! The brightness setting! Swipe from the right, Display opens in a new window where you can set the brigthness.
Am i doing something wrong? Or is there no easier way? this was way better on windows 8.1.

btw Brightness, IMHO the automatic brightness setting seems to work quite good, compared to win8.1 where it sucked.

SteveMac

I do need a bit of help.

I chose to do a refresh, the full one, it prompted that BitLocker would be turned off, no problems.

So it kicked off, then rebooted into an American megatrends prompt asking me to hit f12 to clear tpm, that I did.

The machine then rebooted immediately into a recovery screen, telling me I had to do a restore using use media, or press windows key to access ufi firmware (pressing windows key doesn't do anything).

What is the best way to download the new build of windows as an ISO? Me thinks that is the best option for me to get my sp3 working again.

Thanks for any help!

I do need a bit of help.

I chose to do a refresh, the full one, it prompted that BitLocker would be turned off, no problems.

So it kicked off, then rebooted into an American megatrends prompt asking me to hit f12 to clear tpm, that I did.

The machine then rebooted immediately into a recovery screen, telling me I had to do a restore using use media, or press windows key to access ufi firmware (pressing windows key doesn't do anything).

What is the best way to download the new build of windows as an ISO? Me thinks that is the best option for me to get my sp3 working again.

Thanks for any help!

So I am back after skipping the two last releases. This one seems much more reliable. Keeping my fingers crossed for decent battery time and more gesture support in the coming releases.

SteveMac

** UPDATE ** It was an interface between keyboard and chair issue, I wasn't pressing the volume down button long enough to force boot from USB. All ok now, I'll leave the following just in case this helps someone someday. Still use caution about reset, something is wrong. **END UPDATE**

So could I encourage everyone to use caution about choosing to reset. Seems I've left myself in a bind, where I can't boot my SP3, nor can I use USB device (using the original one I did the fresh install of Windows 10 from).

I've disabled secure boot, as per many instructions, the screen turns red with Surface in the middle, then I get the attached blue screen.

All I can do is get into the firmware (power+volume-up) and then through to the bluescreen.

Any ideas? I'm thinking the only thing would be to send the Sp3 for warranty repair?

PS - I found this thread that also seems to cover my issue - http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/windows-wont-boot.8440/#post-57042 & yes I've confirmed the boot disk works ok on another machine.

sp3_boot_issue.jpg

Last edited:

GTiceman

I was traveling while the update came out and was finally able to grab it. I tried the MSWDA and I still had disconnect issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.