What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynand32

Hi,

I'm dual booting between 8.1 and 10 having setup a partition for 10 on the Surface 3.

However I can't access the files on the other partition, what ever way I try to do it (Windows 8.1 to 10 or visa versa).

If I try to unlock the other partition it asks a for a key and I don't know how to get one !

Any clues ?

That's Bitlocker. To get the key, type "Bitlocker" into Search, then go to "Manage Bitlocker" in the Control Panel. There will be an option to back up your key, which you can use to put it in a file that you should then be able to use to unlock the other partition.

On that note, I'll add that since I set up my SP3 for dual-booting Win 10, my Bitlocker shows encrypted in modern settings, but as turned on in Control Panel. So, I think partitioning for the dual boot confused Bitlocker somehow. Would probably need to restore to factory defaults to get it back, so I better not leave this thing anywhere, because it's definitely off and I can access my other partition from this one...

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Well, hello again, Toobars.

I'm not one for cluttered desktops. Even when I want lots of icons around, I place them in a folder called "Shorts" stored where my documents are, and a shortcut to that is on the desktop.

With Windows 10, in combination with the aspect ratio of the Surface Pro 3, I feel like the Start Menu gives me more freedom to use some toolbar space.

So I enabled Toolbars "Address", "Touch Keyboard", and [gasp] "iTunes". Yes, I like them. The address Toolbar lets me quickly type in or select a previous URL, and the iTunes keeps some minimal audio controls handy.

So, hello again, Toolbars. I haven't liked you much, before. Oh, okay, maybe I liked you back with Windows XP for a little while. I might turn you off now and then, because you turn me off first. But welcome back.

Screenshot (39).png

Screenshot (40).png

Screenshot (42).png

Screenshot (43).png

Last edited:

Kris

Installed Windows 8.1, didn't allow any updates to come through, and then updated to Windows 10. I blocked the 10/6 update and everything seems to be working great. I left a show, that I was streaming over my network, paused for about 6 hours today and when I hit play it started up like it was just paused. Maybe I fixed my issues and can continue to use Windows 10...

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... updated to Windows 10. I blocked the 10/6 update an...d everything seems to be working great. I left a show, that I was streaming over my network, paused for about 6 hours today and when I hit play it started up like it was just paused. Maybe I fixed my issues and can continue to use Windows 10...

You certainly persevered on this one. Welcome to Microsoft OS "X".

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You certainly persevered on this one. Welcome to Microsoft OS "X".
Noooo not Microsoft OS X that will never fly. Win 10 has a nice ring to it.

The next point release will be even better Win 10.10 :D
So looking forward I submit the forum name should be The Adventures of Win 10.10 :D

malberttoo

Joe B. stated that in this Beta, you will be able to install over the top at each iteration....including RTM, just like with Windows Phone.

Wow that is interesting, and surprising. That is one reason I sometimes stay away from releases like this, knowing I'll have to reinstall again when the RTM is released.

Which is probably a good idea anyways, to do a clean install with the RTM. Are you going to? Or just upgrade to it?

GTiceman

Wow that is interesting, and surprising. That is one reason I sometimes stay away from releases like this, knowing I'll have to reinstall again when the RTM is released.

Which is probably a good idea anyways, to do a clean install with the RTM. Are you going to? Or just upgrade to it?

I always do backups through Acronis then wipe and install the RTM. I can mount the image if I need access to certain things but I like clearing off systems every few years

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

I'm going to allow for progressive updates through RTM at least to see how the process works and to see how successful it is, mainly because this is key to the strategy of Microsoft moving forward with Agile Approach to OS Development.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Alas if it only were that simple. That option appears and disappears at the exact same times that rotation works/stops working.. It really feels like somehow the hardware sometimes is not picked up at boot. Reverting to W8.1 also reverts to rotation being 100% reliable... Strange...

If Windows 10 Techical Preview is not auto-rotating your Surface Pro 3 screen, try restarting in portrait mode. Then after you are booted up, does rotate work?

Screenshot (45).png

Screenshot (46).png

Last edited:

hardhit

Did someone get the pen correctly working with onenote? Meaning when you click the top button once get onenote to open, double clicking getting the screenshot taking tool to come up?

Status
Not open for further replies.