What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrass

That's Bitlocker. To get the key, type "Bitlocker" into Search, then go to "Manage Bitlocker" in the Control Panel. There will be an option to back up your key, which you can use to put it in a file that you should then be able to use to unlock the other partition.

On that note, I'll add that since I set up my SP3 for dual-booting Win 10, my Bitlocker shows encrypted in modern settings, but as turned on in Control Panel. So, I think partitioning for the dual boot confused Bitlocker somehow. Would probably need to restore to factory defaults to get it back, so I better not leave this thing anywhere, because it's definitely off and I can access my other partition from this one...

If someone can login to your computer, BitLocker serves no purpose. It is only useful if someone removes the SSD drive and tries to access it or if the computer is tampered with it could request the key. I don't think people realize that the computer is setup with BitLocker on and everything they add to the SSD drive is encrypted. If they don't backup the BitLocker key and the computer ever changes to the point it asks for that key, if you don't have it, the computer is bricked.

r0b123

Following up on finally able to install Win10 on my SP3...

A few notes I took prior to installing Win10 Tech Preview
- Created USB recovery drive
- Created backup system image
- Turned off Bitlocker encryption; side note- was trying to dual boot and could not possibly due to Bitlocker. Turning it off didn't seem to help so I installed Win10 over Win8.1.
- Created USB Win10 Tech Preview installation from ISO + USB/ISO tool

So far I'm happy to say that Win 10 installation was smooth, no issues at the moment given its been about 4hrs ago as of this writing.

Things to note:
1. disk management shows I still have recovery partition, EFI system partition and C: partition with Win10; I was intending to dual boot, see next bullet

2. Bitlocker works, turned off prior to installation so that I could dual boot but that didn't help. I ended up installing over Win8.1 so we'll see if the recovery partition truly works if/when I try to restore back

3. Portrait and landscape orientation works fine when the changing this.

4. USB, BT, WiFi are working with no issues. Able to connect to devices, networks.

5. Still need to try pen and other devices to see if its recognized or driver installation occurs.

6. Checked for Windows Updates, some failed due to Windows is currently update other updates. ??

7. Love the new Start menu!

8. Some apps are behaving weird like Lync app. Doesn't seem to open or show status, ended up using Lync with Office 2013.

More observations, bugs to follow as I start to use Win10!

bluegrass

I always do backups through Acronis then wipe and install the RTM. I can mount the image if I need access to certain things but I like clearing off systems every few years

Me to. Where I work if people are complaining about a slow computer and Malwarebytes doesn't find anything and the computer hasn't been rebuilt for a year or two. I wipe it clean and rebuild from scratch. Of course I inventory their apps and back up their data.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If someone can login to your computer, BitLocker serves no purpose. It is only useful if someone removes the SSD drive and tries to access it or if the computer is tampered with it could request the key. I don't think people realize that the computer is setup with BitLocker on and everything they add to the SSD drive is encrypted. If they don't backup the BitLocker key and the computer ever changes to the point it asks for that key, if you don't have it, the computer is bricked.
But that key is backed up in your MS account and if you only used a local account its not enabled.

wynand32

If someone can login to your computer, BitLocker serves no purpose.

Right, except: is the encryption per disk/install or per system? That is, should a system partition in a dual-boot be accessible from the other partition without a key?

Seems like we have a case in this thread where it isn't, and where it is. Mine is definitely acting funky, so I'm not really sure...

wynand32

Right, except: is the encryption per disk/install or per system? That is, should a system partition in a dual-boot be accessible from the other partition without a key?

Seems like we have a case in this thread where it isn't, and where it is. Mine is definitely acting funky, so I'm not really sure...

Okay, so, I was incorrect: actually, Bitlocker was turned off in Windows 10, which is why it was showing as suspended in modern UI settings and why I could access the partition from Windows 8.1.

I turned Bitlocker on in Windows 10, and now it's showing as on everywhere in both systems, and I can't access the D: partition (the other system partition) in either Win 10 or 8.1.

Now it's acting as expected.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Been a week with Windows 10 Technical Preview. Solid and stable. Start Menu is great. Back to C# and Python programming with no complications.

Screenshot (47).png

Screenshot (48).png

wynand32

Another bit of dual-booting weirdness: is anyone else who's dual-booting having licensing issues around Windows Store apps? I've been having problems with apps refusing to run and needing to be "repaired" by the Windows Store app. When I dig into the settings, I see that only one OS install for a given physical PC is listed at a time--if I install an app in Win10, then that hostname shows up in the account. If I install an app in Win81, then that hostname shows up.

Wrote about it here if anyone wants to confirm that they're seeing the same behavior (which may or may not be perfectly normal and expected): http://www.thetechchat.com/2014/10/09/dual-booting-windows-8-1-and-windows-10-windows-store-issues/

rege0039

Has anyone worked out how to pin websites to start button menu ? Can't seem
Another bit of dual-booting weirdness: is anyone else who's dual-booting having licensing issues around Windows Store apps? I've been having problems with apps refusing to run and needing to be "repaired" by the Windows Store app. When I dig into the settings, I see that only one OS install for a given physical PC is listed at a time--if I install an app in Win10, then that hostname shows up in the account. If I install an app in Win81, then that hostname shows up.

Wrote about it here if anyone wants to confirm that they're seeing the same behavior (which may or may not be perfectly normal and expected): http://www.thetechchat.com/2014/10/09/dual-booting-windows-8-1-and-windows-10-windows-store-issues/

I'm dual booting and have no app issues and have installed all of mine on both systems

Status
Not open for further replies.