What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is awesome!

Just turn off the hidden icons in Tablet Mode settings. I think tablet mode is working better than ever an automatically switches.

Thanks. That's a start. Still want my desktop icons though. I don't like that they are trying to force you to use the start menu. I have desktop icons for a reason, i don't like tiles (sharpcolorados screenshot is an indication of why, unless it's a mui app, the tiles are rather crap and hard to spot/identify etc. Does it really destroy their image of what the OS should be if i want to use said desktop icons? They're simple, they work. Don't screw around, you screw around too much!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a point of diminishing return when trying to be all things to all people. Thus, the Apple "hot chick" analogy. The inflection is to make things intuitive. Windows 10 has a LOT of things, ways to tweak things and most of them aren't obvious enough for the average user who isn't inclined to doink around, clicking and right-clicking to figure out what's what.

It's not really an issue of trying to be all things though. It would not change anything for MS to have a slider, just like with taskbar icons, to keep icons on desktop. I see it as a begrudging refusal to let people forgo their wonderful tile system. Maybe it will change in later builds. just doesn't make much sense to me. Why would you not want to be able to just double click on recycle bin because you're in tablet mode?

Currently experiencing an issue where upon unlocking the device, i have to toggle tablet mode a few times before the start menu will stay open. Othewise it simply opens and instantly closes again (using start menu button not physical button)

GTiceman

Thanks. That's a start. Still want my desktop icons though. I don't like that they are trying to force you to use the start menu. I have desktop icons for a reason, i don't like tiles (sharpcolorados screenshot is an indication of why, unless it's a mui app, the tiles are rather crap and hard to spot/identify etc. Does it really destroy their image of what the OS should be if i want to use said desktop icons? They're simple, they work. Don't screw around, you screw around too much!

I actually hate desktop icons and haven't used them since when XP was new. Win8 allowed me to do what i wanted in terms of everything being organized and grouped. I actually turned many co-workers off of icons after they spent the time setting it up.

Can't be all all things for all people.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually hate desktop icons and haven't used them since when XP was new. Win8 allowed me to do what i wanted in terms of everything being organized and grouped. I actually turned many co-workers off of icons after they spent the time setting it up.

Can't be all all things for all people.

Except they can. If they're willing to have an option for icons in the taskbar in tablet mode, why wouldn't they have it for desktop? It's not hard. I don't even see a valid argument as to why you wouldn't have them in tablet mode. Tablet mode should not be interpreted as only using MUI apps.

But i do agree with what you say about using desktop icons, the moment i got the ability to hit the start button and type the first few letters of an app, that was the end of desktop icons for me other than recycle bin. However on a tablet you don't have that ability to instantly type in a few letters with ease. I have found that as a tablet, just like with an android tablet, it is far easier just to have the icon right there in front of you on the screen instead of going to the app drawer.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Litle issue i've just noticed. When in tablet mode, windows will maximuize every window. For example i just right clicked a rar file and chose to unrar, instead of the normal box, it becomes a full screen window with the typical content just displayed in the top left of the display. Upon completion it then minimizes everything and takes you to desktop. Rather annoying.

bluegrass

holy fcuk I have so much problems with internet connections. it constantly goes offline and i have to re enable connectiojn for every 5 min. im bout to break my screen.

You must have something else going on with your computer that has nothing to do with the new build. If the new build caused that problem, we would all be ready to throw our computers out the window.

GTiceman

Except they can. If they're willing to have an option for icons in the taskbar in tablet mode, why wouldn't they have it for desktop? It's not hard. I don't even see a valid argument as to why you wouldn't have them in tablet mode. Tablet mode should not be interpreted as only using MUI apps.

But i do agree with what you say about using desktop icons, the moment i got the ability to hit the start button and type the first few letters of an app, that was the end of desktop icons for me other than recycle bin. However on a tablet you don't have that ability to instantly type in a few letters with ease. I have found that as a tablet, just like with an android tablet, it is far easier just to have the icon right there in front of you on the screen instead of going to the app drawer.

I know what you mean. In my case I used to have the Metro screen grouped up so everything I used was there. It really showed me how many apps I didn't use/need day to day. I don't view the disappearing of the icons as only MUI app centriic, I have plenty of non-MUI apps pinned and grouped into my Start Menu/Screen. I also agree it is a few lines of code to keep the desktop icons.

Arizona Willie

I would also like to see the ability to LOCK a message or folder so we could preserve messages from accidental deletion or archiving.

Example, I get emailed receipts. I would like to be able to either LOCK the individual message or put them in a folder where NOTHING can be deleted. The folder itself might be archived as long as contents weren't removed. The archive would just be a ' backup '.

Shame that in Mail, Microsoft still haven't figured out that many people want to "Archive" by default, not delete. Please add this Microsoft.

Arizona Willie

Second attempt appeared to go okay, but who knows if some file got corrupted until such time as I do something that needs that file someday.

Yes, I'm well aware of the fragile nature of W10 betas.

That is why I put it on a completely separate hard drive.

I don't dual boot, but instead will restart and go into the bios and tell it to use the W10 drive to boot from and then do the opposite when I want to go back to W8.

Takes another minute maybe, but I have separation between the operating systems in case something goes terribly wrong.

Last edited:

Spider

Super Moderator
Staff member
In build 10061, when you click Start, there's an "All apps" icon that appears in the lower left corner of the Start Menu under the "Power" icon. Click on the "All apps" icon and you should see the Calculator under "C" in the resulting list of apps. Sorry I didn't explain it very clearly before.:(

bluegrass

Second attempt appeared to go okay, but who knows if some file got corrupted until such time as I do something that needs that file someday.

Yes, I'm well aware of the fragile nature of W10 betas.

That is why I put it on a completely separate hard drive.

I don't dual boot, but instead will restart and go into the bios and tell it to use the W10 drive to boot from and then do the opposite when I want to go back to W8.

Takes another minute maybe, but I have separation between the operating systems in case something goes terribly wrong.

I assume you mean you have an external USB drive that you have W10 on and you can boot to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.