What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTiceman

I am not saying it is not important. I am saying that this is beta software, it has not been released yet. They have plenty of time to change the UX. Maybe right now they have opted to focus on Edge for the present build. You act as if it is cut and dry and it can't possibly be addressed before release.

While the previews are building a demand for the OS, it is primarily for feedback purposes, not advertising purposes.

I agree, the little UX items, while a big deal can be some simple coding changes, right now they want to test stability. When one thing seems to be solid they cement it in. I would rather have Continuum work seamlessly then have fancy colors. Obviously we should have both, but I can tell you from being involved in betas with MS for years, toward the end things can change rapidly and dramatically on the UX front, windows 7 was this way.

r0b123

I am also having this issue as well as using the launch button when locked.

Hmm, OneNote MUI starts if I double-click the top pen button, then allows me to select region to clip. But pressing once doesn't do anything. I tried installing the Surface app, but somehow it crashes when I click on it. So much for seeing if this works with OneNote 2013.

GTiceman

Hmm, OneNote MUI starts if I double-click the top pen button, then allows me to select region to clip. But pressing once doesn't do anything. I tried installing the Surface app, but somehow it crashes when I click on it. So much for seeing if this works with OneNote 2013.

Single click when unlocked works for me

Compusmurf

More important things than the UX of the most consumer-facing feature of the whole damned thing? No, actually I don't think they have more important things to focus us.

On past closed beta cycles, the actual graphics and final layout of the interface and icons always came in the last 1 or 2 RC versions. (NT 3.5, NT4, XP, Vista, etc) I wouldn't doubt that they follow the same cycle as they have in the past. Old habits die hard.

bluegrass

Ya. I think and would expect that light windows dressing should always be he lowest priority when developing a new OS.

Kris

OneNote wasn't working for me, one click did nothing and no option to change the drawing width. Installed OneNote 2013 and now I at least have options for changing the drawing tool.

mitchellvii

I've got money says MS does zero new with the non-Metro tiles before final release. They will be mostly whatever the system color is with a tiny ugly icon in the middle. I believe this because something like this would be so insanely simple to implement given MS's resources, the fact they haven't already done it means they don't intend to. I mean guys are creating gorgeous icon sets for Android in their garages on the weekends 1000 times better than these.

The best solution here would be for MS to open things up to "Tile Packs" for Developers and Designers as everyone has different tastes. However, given MS's desire in the past to completely control the UX, I don't think this will happen. They won't change it and they won't let us change it.

Could be wrong. Don't think I am. Hope I'm not. :)

MS is completely committed to boring with their UX. I mean, look at the tile for the Store (Beta). Dark gray and white. Yeah that screams "Click Me!", right?

Last edited:

mitchellvii

Does anyone feel like Chrome load times are excessively long in this build? I'm especially getting lag with any forms which are interacting with online databases. Tried setting up automatic online bill payment for my new car lease today and it took FOREVER. Could be just me but Chrome seemed a lot faster to me in prior builds.

Also still getting lots of fan compared to W8.1.

Last point. My Most Used list seems to be doing it's own thing as it doesn't update with my Most Used apps.

r0b123

Single click when unlocked works for me

After un-pairing my pen, I was able to get both single-click (opens OneNote MUI) and double-click (opens OneNote then allows to pic clip a region). :)

Now if I can just get the Surface app to work (it installs, but doesn't open). I would like the pen actions to use OneNote 2013 instead of the MUI version.

Sven

I see some comments above stating that the TP is focusing on stability and operation, which is perfectly understandable.

However, in this day and age, fluid UX design is just as important, (Win 8 was a unmitigated disaster in this department when unleashed on the world). The UX simply has to convey and bind the underlying technical elements in a seamless, native and productive experience for the end user to grasp the vision that MS has set out. It's an established industry fact that they're years late to the (I hate this term but anyhow) "post PC era" but their one OS across multiple device roadmap appears conceptually brilliant.

Consistency of workflow elements, underpinned by clever UX design highlighting technical prowess is what will sell Windows 10. If the TP doesn't have that then I guess we're stuck waiting for the CP.

On a plus note, the touch version of Excel, Word and Powerpoint are great. It shows what they can do when they put their minds to it.

Kris

Is there a way to make OneNote 2013 to open when you click the top button? I did a google search and found something about advanced options having a spot to click for it but it isn't under my version. I have even tried changing default apps. The MUI version doesn't seem to allow changing the brush size and the second button doesn't work either.

Sven

Is there a way to make OneNote 2013 to open when you click the top button? I did a google search and found something about advanced options having a spot to click for it but it isn't under my version. I have even tried changing default apps. The MUI version doesn't seem to allow changing the brush size and the second button doesn't work either.

Found the same problem. New MUI onenote preview not having brush thinkness options is stupefying.

Tried changing default - no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.