Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... I can't attach any online only files from my OneDrive to any emails - but only on Windows 10. Local files are fine...

Even though it should have handled the problem without giving you an error message, Outlook cannot directly attach files from the OneDrive cloud. Instead, to attach an online file from OneDrive, click Insert, and then click Share from OneDrive. The file is then downloaded by the recipient, since you have shared it.

rege0039

Even though it should have handled the problem without giving you an error message, Outlook cannot directly attach files from the OneDrive cloud. Instead, to attach an online file from OneDrive, click Insert, and then click Share from OneDrive. The file is then downloaded by the recipient, since you have shared it.

Very helpful. Still not clear is that a Windows 10 problem as it seems to work on 8.1 ?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Very helpful. Still not clear is that a Windows 10 problem as it seems to work on 8.1 ?

Me thinks that on your Windows 8.1 installation, a copy of the online file was available locally, and that was attached. Likely your OneDrive account on 8.1 was set to make files available locally, but your Windows 10 Technical Preview installation only has access to the online file.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Outlook won't allow you to directly a attached a file from OneDrive that is Online Only, you must make the file available offline and then you should be able to attach it normally.

Most likely scenario is that the file is available offline on your 8.1 instance and not on your Windows 10 instance...

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
More than ten days with the initial public Windows 10 Technical Preview build (9841). Have not lost any productivity, but instead likely have gained a bit due to the way the Start Menu works in Windows 10.

Screenshot (60).png

Screenshot (61).png

bluegrass

I am astounded to see the first preview release so solid. That is practically unheard of. I had no qualms about upgrading my original Surface Pro to 10 before giving it to my son to have. I think I'll go ahead and upgrade my Surface Pro 2 to 10 but hold off for a bit before I do my SP3.

rege0039

Me thinks that on your Windows 8.1 installation, a copy of the online file was available locally, and that was attached. Likely your OneDrive account on 8.1 was set to make files available locally, but your Windows 10 Technical Preview installation only has access to the online file.

I hate to disagree with someone as helpful and knowledgeable as your good self but it really does seem to be, for me in any case, that under Windows 8.1 I can attach files from my OneDrive that are, and have only ever been, kept online but when I try the same thing under Windows 10 it gives the error message.

May be my minds going and I just can't remember putting them on the local hard drive but I am pretty sure I didn't, as they were uploaded from my home desktop to be kept in the cloud.

But I really do appreciate the help and responsiveness of this thread.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... I am pretty sure I didn't, as they were uploaded from my home desktop to be kept in the cloud...

Unless you had deliberately and specifically configured OneDrive to "Make files available online only", the files WERE copied to your local storage by OneDrive in the background.

bluegrass

Let's clear up how to find out if your OneDrive is configured to only store files in the cloud and not locally. Anyone know the steps on how to determine this? I use OneDrive and frankly I don't know how to. I personally like to have some files stored both places and some to be only stored in the cloud. They give you one terabyte, which is quite a lot of storage.

hamid milani

is problem of turning off display without sleeping solved in win10??? any solution for windows 8.1?
there is some details on link below:
http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/turn-screen-off-without-sleeping.9448/
and someone also said:
I just paid a BIG chunk of money for a Surface Pro 3 and can't even listen to music with no screen light in the room. What is the point of having separate settings for sleep and display if they are tied together? I don't think the majority of users want there screen on when they are:

• Listening to stored music
  • Streaming radio
  • Downloading large files in off hours that are not metered
  • Doing backups
  • Many other tasks within applications

rege0039

Let's clear up how to find out if your OneDrive is configured to only store files in the cloud and not locally. Anyone know the steps on how to determine this? I use OneDrive and frankly I don't know how to. I personally like to have some files stored both places and some to be only stored in the cloud. They give you one terabyte, which is quite a lot of storage.

Under Windows 10 the whole of my OneDrive is set to off line.

Under Windows 8.1 I have checked and if I choose specific files that are online only I can still attach them in Outlook, but not under Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.