What's new

Turn Screen Off Without Sleeping?

Seneleron

the good news is, this is exactly what connected standby does. The bad news, it only works with modern UI apps. The short answer is, no. you cannot keep it running with the screen off.

benjitek

Is there any way to turn the display off without making it sleep so that it can process in the background?
Sort of, but not exactly. You can define one of your Power Plans to blank the screen after a certain amount of time. I've set the Power Saver mode to do so after 5 minutes of inactivity. You can also set the device to require a password when waking the screen back up. The only way to >always< require a password on screen wake is with a registry edit, without it all someone needs to do is move the mouse, touch the screen or press a key to get full access to your device, a blanked-out screen isn't the same as timing out to the lock screen:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"DelayLockInterval"=dword:00000000

It's about as close as I could find to turning off the screen without turning off my SP2, if you find something better -- let me know :)

Last edited:

Seneleron

It works regardless of whether your using desktop or modern UI, if you'd tried it you would know that.

Apparently SOMEONE doesn't understand how connected standby works. When the screen turns black, that *IS* "sleep" mode. In this case, metro apps can still make use of wifi to keep sync'd [mail, weather, facebook, etc] But desktop applications will immediately stop. This is really EXTREMEMLY frustrating when listening to a playlist in Winamp, or when downloading large steam games, as it stops whatever is going on within the desktop program as it goes into it's low power state.

I suggest you give it a shot yourself and see if you can duplicate my results [dare I say, obviously YOU haven't tried it?] If you get different results, PLEASE let me know your settings so I can duplicate them. . because I'd LOVE to be able to keep spotify going all night long with the screen off.

jrhillma

You can set your power options to not sleep/hibernate and use something like monoff to shut down just the display.

I was doing that while streaming TuneIn via desktop browser before I thought to see if there was a TuneIn metro app.

benjitek

Apparently SOMEONE doesn't understand how connected standby works
The SP2 doesn't have connected-standby. If you blank the screen on a SP2 it's not 'sleep'ing, there's a separate setting for that.

Capture.PNG

ipaq_101

this has to be the most annoying issue for me, can't download any big files unless you are on the machine the entire time, on top of that the wifi speeds are so terrible, you have to wait for hours to dload a damn file.

when is that second firmware update coming again?