What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compusmurf

I've noticed a good thing. pulling up menus via finger spaces them out more VS pulling up menus via pen/mouse. There'll be plenty of bugs to find. Quite a few cosmetic ones. Mucking around in the start menu still leaving "residue". Haven't decided if that's Microsoft or Intel's drivers. (or both). Abundance of sleep and hibernate issues.

Compusmurf

Heres an edge/spartan tip for you. Want to fix your favorites/reimport bookmarks, etc. You have to do it manually. Here's the location: C:\Users\"Your user name " \ AppData \Local \Packages\ Microsoft.Windows.Spartan_cw5n1h2txyewy \AC\Spartan\User\Default\ Favorites

EMINENT

Got it installed finally.

What I did was a reset, not a refresh. Resetting to 8.1. Immediately going to download the update from Insider. Letting the system update to 10074. After 10074 loaded, I went to change to fast ring and download 10122, updated fully after that.

Last edited:

wynand32

I'm trying the new fix, and a question: after you enter the command "rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN" is anything supposed to happen? It seems to execute but there's no feedback, and my update didn't work.

Edit: Read the comments at TechNet, seems like there's not any feedback after the command is run successfully (although there's an error if you don't type it exactly as written). First run didn't work, trying again.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
My surface is fubarred. Did a refresh to see if it would help, ended up with no WiFi drivers and no way to get them. So then I did a wipe and reinstall, and now no matter what I refresh or whatever, I cannot get the start menu to open and just get error codes whenever I try and do any update.

Downloading the 10074 iso to see if a wipe and fresh fresh install will do me any good.

Compusmurf

I'm trying the new fix, and a question: after you enter the command "rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN" is anything supposed to happen? It seems to execute but there's no feedback, and my update didn't work.

Edit: Read the comments at TechNet, seems like there's not any feedback after the command is run successfully (although there's an error if you don't type it exactly as written). First run didn't work, trying again.

you did the first command right?

• Open an elevated command prompt
  • Execute psexec with the following parameters:
  • C:\Temp\psexec.exe –s –i cmd.exe

wynand32

you did the first command right?

• Open an elevated command prompt
  • Execute psexec with the following parameters:
  • C:\Temp\psexec.exe –s –i cmd.exe

Yep, followed the directions precisely, twice now. No go. Maybe my system is just hosed after too many previous attempts. I might do a complete refresh and try again.

Compusmurf

My surface is fubarred. Did a refresh to see if it would help, ended up with no WiFi drivers and no way to get them. So then I did a wipe and reinstall, and now no matter what I refresh or whatever, I cannot get the start menu to open and just get error codes whenever I try and do any update.

Downloading the 10074 iso to see if a wipe and fresh fresh install will do me any good.

If not, you may have to go back to 8.1 and grab the full driver pkg from microsoft on another computer and get it back stable before trying again. :(

On the bright side, think of it as gaining valuable troubleshooting experience! ;)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
If not, you may have to go back to 8.1 and grab the full driver pkg from microsoft on another computer and get it back stable before trying again. :(

Can't go back to 8.1. Factory reset just installs 10074. Downloading now. Better work. Cannot use start bar, cannot change scaling, resolution, the second display is a mess, can either use as the main display, but it is just a stretched image, squashed vertically, cannot change res, or only other option is to mirror, and it mirrors in 3:2 but all text etc scales as if it was on the surface so absolutely tiny.

Compusmurf

Can't go back to 8.1. Factory reset just installs 10074. Downloading now. Better work. Cannot use start bar, cannot change scaling, resolution, the second display is a mess, can either use as the main display, but it is just a stretched image, squashed vertically, cannot change res, or only other option is to mirror, and it mirrors in 3:2 but all text etc scales as if it was on the surface so absolutely tiny.

Ouch, I presume you didn't make an external USB recovery drive for your surface when you first purchased it? I think there was a downloadable one laying around somewhere, maybe even on this forum. Let me look around.

Status
Not open for further replies.