What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compusmurf

Hi
I think someone from Microsoft should answer on our problems with 10122 ?.
I tried 7 times and each time stops update at 18 % ?

k
Zibi, Microsoft is well aware of the issue and working on a fix already. Their forum, their suggestion section and the twitter account for the project manager guy are blowing up over it. Internal Microsofties have also confirmed the issue. Give them time. You signed on to a beta test willingly, you gotta expect issues. It was right there in the agreement. :)

Just as a reminder:

Download and install the preview only if you
  • Want to try out software that’s still in development and like sharing your opinion about it.

• Don’t mind lots of updates or a UI design that might change significantly over time.

• Really know your way around a PC and feel comfortable troubleshooting problems, backing up data, formatting a hard drive, installing an operating system from scratch, or restoring your old one if necessary.

• Know what an ISO file is and how to use it.

• Aren't installing it on your everyday computer.
We're not kidding about the expert thing. So if you think BIOS is a new plant-based fuel, Insider Preview may not be right for you.

Things to keep in mind
Unexpected PC crashes could damage or even delete your files, so you should back up everything. Some printers and other hardware might not work, and some software might not install or work correctly, including antivirus or security programs. You might also have trouble connecting to home or corporate networks.

Kris

So far have had to leave HomeGroup on my main PC and recreate it to allow my SP3 to connect to it. Graphics are clunky and moving at horrible speeds, anyone know where to download the intel version of the driver? Pressing the onscreen keyboard button only works half the time.

Arizona Willie

Yes we all KNOW it is beta.

However it does get aggravating when you get a " feature " like Cortana working pretty well and a new build completely hoses it.

It's like they slap a batch of code together and puke it out the door without testing it AT ALL.

My Cortana, which was working well under 74 was completely hosed and after turning it back on ( why did the new build change my settings and turn her off? ) it doesn't work for shit.

It would be nice if the " programmers " ( I use the term loosely ) would tell us which motherboard(s) and which sound card(s) and which microphones and speakers they are using so that if we are desperate to get something like Cortana working we could try to duplicate the equipment they have it working with.

Apparently they think it is working well so they release it and it is a POS and hardly works for ANYONE.

Zibi, Microsoft is well aware of the issue and working on a fix already. Their forum, their suggestion section and the twitter account for the project manager guy are blowing up over it. Internal Microsofties have also confirmed the issue. Give them time. You signed on to a beta test willingly, you gotta expect issues. It was right there in the agreement. :)

Just as a reminder:

Download and install the preview only if you
  • Want to try out software that’s still in development and like sharing your opinion about it.

• Don’t mind lots of updates or a UI design that might change significantly over time.

• Really know your way around a PC and feel comfortable troubleshooting problems, backing up data, formatting a hard drive, installing an operating system from scratch, or restoring your old one if necessary.

• Know what an ISO file is and how to use it.

• Aren't installing it on your everyday computer.
We're not kidding about the expert thing. So if you think BIOS is a new plant-based fuel, Insider Preview may not be right for you.

Things to keep in mind
Unexpected PC crashes could damage or even delete your files, so you should back up everything. Some printers and other hardware might not work, and some software might not install or work correctly, including antivirus or security programs. You might also have trouble connecting to home or corporate networks.

mitchellvii

Weird. Got the 10122 ISO, burned it to a thumb drive using Rufus but when I try to boot to the thumb drive to install, it doesn't even see it.

Kris

I can't get my SP3 to boot from my thumb drive.
Maybe it's because I have a I3 model, so far from what I can tell on the SP3 it is not worth the hassle. I am the type to attack a problem until I solve it but this one is just pissing me off more and more. Nothing is working right and I can't find drivers/firmware to try and fix anything, Windows update is worthless at the moment. But working just fine on my Desktop...

Jay Parisi

Hey Colorado, you should probably start a new bookmark to this build once people can get it installed and spare everyone the pages of fails...

Compusmurf

What's not working with cortana? They posted that cortana has some known issues in the blog. They also posted a temporary work around for a few of the issues. One they didn't post is that cortana won't speak to you, but that one is pretty well documented on their forum and on their suggestion page at this point. There's also some color combinations in reminders and such that are pretty much non usable. That has also been submitted as a bug.

Have you actually submitted any of your issues on the official site and all? Over the last 3 releases, I've probably submitted 4 dozen, some of which have been fixed, others not so much.

about Cortana being turned off. She's been defaulted to OFF and you have to resetup each time so far. She's had to "relearn" every time. Will it be different when final code is locked down? probably not. Not everyone wants to speak to their computer.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

Compusmurf

I may have inadvertently done this in the past while testing some in house developed device drivers. Our cleanup tool might be a bit too aggressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.