What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary.M

What a nightmare this build is. Once I finally got over the 18% not updating malarkey I now have 10122 installed. Unfortunately it seems worse than the previous build: it loses wifi connection when waking up, the touch keyboard refuses to appear at times, battery life seems very poor and I get a constant spinning circle whenever I want it to restart, ending up having to press the power button to shut it down. I think I'm done with Windows 10 alpha/beta. Windows 8 runs so much better.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Backup is working again. My Surface Pro 3 i7/512 backs up to SDXC.
Be sure to start with a formatted SDXC, using device defaults as shown below.

I like having 128GB of backups onboard, including previous file versions.

Screenshot (16).png

Screenshot (14).png

Screenshot (15).png

rege0039

Finally got it installed. Did both the Gabe command and deleted files from windows.old,. Not sure which one made it work but got there in the end !

Seems ok but haven't checked battery life yet.

One thing is that the new email app won't let me add my google account that was there before. It's not showing up in the app at all but when I try to add it, I'm told it's already there. Maybe it's hidden somewhere in a registry entry but I'm not going there just yet. Two days trying to get in to install is enough messing about time.

Kris

It' amazing how great this build works on my desktop and how poorly it works on my SP3. If screen goes off, I hit the power button and get a gray screen and have to wait up to 30 seconds for it to load the lockscreen. Touch screen keyboard icon barely ever brings up the keyboard, I have to open the startmenu then hit it to make it work. I know we are beta testers and bugs are to be expected but with each build you would expect a little improvement and this is like 10 steps back. Hoping for a fixed build soon...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Slowly getting there. 10074 installed from ISO. Start menu is back, however now I cannot open settings in any way. Right clicking on desktop and trying to access via screen resolution or personalise just opens a popup telling me there is no program associated with this action. Is there any alternate way of accessing the windows update page?

Ok, solvved that one. same kind of issue as i experienced last few installs. Upon setting up, you enter MS account etc, but then for me it loops back and for some reason does the process again, but creates a regular account alongside the MS account and automatically logs me into that, where i have no permissions or anything at all or something. Logging out and chosing the MMS account and settings works fine.

Edit. Had to do a refresh, start menu gone again as well as swipe in from right. Doh. Never doing a refresh again.

Last edited:
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
It' amazing how great this build works on my desktop and how poorly it works on my SP3. If screen goes off, I hit the power button and get a gray screen and have to wait up to 30 seconds for it to load the lockscreen. Touch screen keyboard icon barely ever brings up the keyboard, I have to open the startmenu then hit it to make it work. I know we are beta testers and bugs are to be expected but with each build you would expect a little improvement and this is like 10 steps back. Hoping for a fixed build soon...

1. Are OneDrive, DropBox, and other devices up to date? Cloud services catching up could be the source of poor response.
2. Are Apps via Store (Beta) up to date? Same idea.
2. Are you using SSD for some of your files? Running out of disk space could also be the source of poor response.

Whatever the case, it seems your install does not represent how Windows 10 Build 10122 is working on most SP3 machines. Let's keep working on your issues. By the way, Windows 10 Build 10122 on my MacBook works great, too.

mitchellvii

Slowly getting there. 10074 installed from ISO. Start menu is back, however now I cannot open settings in any way. Right clicking on desktop and trying to access via screen resolution or personalise just opens a popup telling me there is no program associated with this action. Is there any alternate way of accessing the windows update page?

Ok, solvved that one. same kind of issue as i experienced last few installs. Upon setting up, you enter MS account etc, but then for me it loops back and for some reason does the process again, but creates a regular account alongside the MS account and automatically logs me into that, where i have no permissions or anything at all or something. Logging out and chosing the MMS account and settings works fine.

This isn't normal and not being experienced by other users. Perhaps your SP3 is defective? :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
This isn't normal and not being experienced by other users. Perhaps your SP3 is defective? :)

There his quite certainly something wrong with my system. Hence the reinstalls.. Because I know its not normal and as such can be fixed one way or another.

mitchellvii

There his quite certainly something wrong with my system. Hence the reinstalls.. Because I know its not normal and as such can be fixed one way or another.

I have a new theory on why Windows 10 Preview seems to behave differently and throw such divergent bugs on similar hardware.

Could it be that each new release is not actually one release but several batches of releases under the same number, each with different setups allowing MS to test several bug scenarios with a single build simultaneously?

This might explain why some are having fan and heat issues while others are not and some are having these odd things you've experienced while others are not.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't even download 10122 to try installing. Just get that repeat error code. Yay. Can't upgrade to 10122, and 10074 is utterly broken for some reason.

jnoonan72

I had to jump through all of the hoops, like most SP3 users it seems, to install 10122. Due to some relatively small issues (and because it is my habit) I was going to reset my installation of build 10122, but when I attempt to reset I get an error regarding there not being a recovery environment (attached screenshot). I am not attempting to reset to an old build, I am attempting to reset this build. Anybody else on here experience anything similar?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 444
Status
Not open for further replies.