What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchellvii

I can't even download 10122 to try installing. Just get that repeat error code. Yay. Can't upgrade to 10122, and 10074 is utterly broken for some reason.

Just download the 10122 ISO from Mega, run the device hack described earlier in this thread and install from there. Don't bother with the update.

jnoonan72

I think I may wait for a slow ring release (wow)
The disconcerting thing regarding this release is it appears that the team must not spend much time testing on the Surface Pro 3. I have had suspicions regarding that in the past due to how many issues there were with things like scrolling with the Type Cover in earlier builds, but this circus installing 10122 on the SP3 seems to kind of prove it. It is the opposite of what I would have expected.

lparsons21

Because of that and because the Previews seem to want to booger the recovery partition, I've avoided putting it on the SP Pros.

Oddly, on the Lenovo Yoga Pros, the Preview doesn't bother the recovery partition at all and recovering to factory setup is easy even if sometimes irritating as after that recovery, you get the 100+ updates to bring it up to date.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The install issue affected more than just the SP3, it actually had more to do with Machines that have been "flighted" multiple times, this was actually a great bug to find as the "flighting" process is how Windows is moving forward, now they can build the .inf cleaner routine into the pre-flight process.

The devices they use for develop and test tend to wiped many times...

mitchellvii

General observation. I'm running Access 2003 (yes, the last version of Access before they mucked it up, IMHO) and Office 2007 on my SP3. Both seem to be a little happier under this build. Just a half step quicker.

One thing I'd noticed about Spartan. Sometimes when typing in a forum such as this one, my cursor will randomly lose focus and I have to select the text box I'm typing in again to continue.

Last thing. I like to crank the gamma down in advanced settings to make blacks blacker. I've noticed that the SP3 seems to randomly lose this setting and I have to do it again from time to time. I've noticed that screen rotation and running Hulu can cause this as well.

Jay Parisi

Guess I'm gonna have to wait. Tried the runddl, disk cleanup, and removed from the dock so no extra devices are attached and keep getting the error.

Odd this is, when I first tried it hung at the 62-18 mark, now it just reboots itself and rolls back when it hits the mark.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The install issue affected more than just the SP3, it actually had more to do with Machines that have been "flighted" multiple times, this was actually a great bug to find as the "flighting" process is how Windows is moving forward, now they can build the .inf cleaner routine into the pre-flight process.

The devices they use for develop and test tend to wiped many times...

A question. If that is the issue why would it still effect so many people doing an install straight from 8.1, or those who formatted and installed a completely clean 10074 iso

Haldi

Actually, I do have another bothersome problem, since the last build. Whenever I switch back from tablet mode, my windows that were maximized when I switch to tablet mode are now resized, randomly it would seem. Some are small enough that I can't access the maximize button or apparently resize, so I have to close them and reopen. This also happens when waking up from sleep (when the SP3 will actually wake up from sleep, of course).
tried F11 or alt+enter to make them fullscreen?

Three related switches for autocorrection:
All Settings, Devices, Typing:
Thanks a lot! I've been searching for this for a while but havent found it.
It's horrible when writing emails in dialect.

How can we Install & native boot VHD Win 8/ 8.1 on Surface Pro 3? We need to install VHD Images to several SPro3s
I've been using this to boot windows 10TP and it works awesome. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/cesardelato...ws-8-1-update-natively-from-a-vhdx-image.aspx

What backup tool are you using?
Just asking out of curiosity... i'm booting from a .vhdx file, so i can simply backup the whole file. ^^

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
A question. If that is the issue why would it still effect so many people doing an install straight from 8.1, or those who formatted and installed a completely clean 10074 iso
It appears those who deleted all of the Partitions and installed were successful, those who used the existing ones and installed over the top had the issues, my guess is leaving the existing partitions leave GUIDs and other identifying info in place including the XML files mapping .inf and hardlinks....

mitchellvii

MS is heading in the right direction by making the non-Metro icons in the Start Menu larger although clearly, just magnifying small icons to make them large is an inelegant (read, crap) solution at best. My hope is that MS will implement icon packs such as they have in Android which will allow the user to have some really beautiful custom Start Menu icons. This could also be implemented using Themes.

Also, adding "Jump Lists" to Start Menu icons would be a cool feature. It could simply be one more right click menu item.

I really liked the "fly-away" animation on Windows Phones where the tiles appear to fly away to the right after selecting one. Would be cool if they added that as an option simply because really nothing cool happens in the Start Menu when you click and icon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.