What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynand32

Well, this continues to be fun. I restored back to Win8.1, then updated to 10074, then attempted to update to 10122 via the rundll32.exe command, and I'm stuck at 18%/62%. Grr.

Anybody have a bona fide 100% method to update?

Edit: Also, how long should I wait for this thing to restore back to 10074? Or is it dead and I need to restart from scratch?

Last edited:

Turbo Brian

did a fresh install of 10122 on my SP3 yesterday (made my own usb "iso") and so far ive seen the following issues: resuming from sleep, the keyboard cover doesnt work and neither does wifi. rebooting results in sitting at the "Restarting..." screen for about 5 minutes before it BSODs. havent done much else with it except get the appstore updates to install. 10122 has been great so far on my x99 based gaming rig but this is the worst version ive run on my SP3; i pretty much have to either shut it down when i walk way or hope i come back quick enough before it goes to sleep; otherwise i have to forcefully shut it down with the power button since the keyboard and wifi dont work.

wynand32

1. Run a registry cleaner and a disk cleaner on your machine both, including cleanmgr.exe, including system files. Make sure there are no vestiges, including Windows.old, on your machine from previous attempts.
  2. Beyond the rundll32.exe command, also do the Technet article instruction first for the psexec.exe –s –i cmd.exe.
  3. Disconnect all peripherals from your machine - you have an SP3, right? - except for power.
Else Rufus the 10122 .ISO onto a FAT32 USB stick, wipe the entire drive, let the install re-do the partitions and do a clean install.

Good luck.

P.S. - I did a clean ISO install of 9926, then went through the 10041 > 10049 > 10061 > 10074 builds as straight Microsoft Update fbl upgrades from there. Only with 10122 was I not able to and steps 1-3 above worked for me after four failed attempts. I think the big things for me were #'s 2 and 3 above.

Great, thanks for that. Now I just have to decide if I should wait for this install to fail (it's been 2 hours), or blow it away and restore back to Win8.1 and start over. Don't know how to do this "Rufus the 10122 .ISO thing," but I'm sure I can figure it out.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You don't really need Rufus, you can mount the ISO in Windows 8.1 or 10 and make sure you have a USB Thumb Drive formatted FAT32, assuming that the Mounted ISO is "D" and the Drive is "E", open an elevated CMD Prompt in use this command:

xcopy d:\*.* /e/f/s e:

That will create an Bootable Copy of the Windows ISO on the Drive.

wynand32

Funny thing is, after all of this effort, I'm questioning if 10122 is a build I want to move to. I'm seriously considering sticking with Win8.1 until the next build is released, maybe even the next Slow ring build with ISO. Ultimately, I need my SP3 to be functional; I'm kind of tired of using my MacBook Air due to issues with Windows 10 (not complaining, just stating the practical truth).

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I need my SP3 to be functional; I'm kind of tired of using my MacBook Air due to issues with Windows 10 (not complaining, just stating the practical truth).

Build 10122 works great on my MacBook. I get an apple and an orange in one box.

mitchellvii

Sigh, been on 10122 for about a full 24 hours now and I'm back to pretty much non-stop fan even when my rig isn't hot. If this thing blows any harder I'm gonna call it Sally and marry it.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is anyone else having issues with external displays? This doesn't seem to be a 10122 specific issue as experienced it while trying to faff about on 10074 last night. I cannot use only the external display, I can only extend or mirror and there are lots of issues with that such as resolution being greyed out which can result in things like this (this is a screenshot from a 720p tv connected via mDP->DVI cable when trying to only use the secondary display)

arr.jpg

In case you can't tell, it is heavily cropped on top and bottom making for a silly wide stretched display where all and any text is utterly garbled)

EMINENT

Regarding the issue i've been having with the black screen sleep that won't wake in tablet mode-detached from the keyboard, I found that if I hit the sleep button instead of letting the system turn the screen off, I can wake as usual from the lock screen. Weird.

bluegrass

I get an error when trying to open up OneNote preview. "Sorry, something went wrong. We were unable to sign you in. Please try again later". Does anyone know how to update it. Uninstall isn't an option on the fly out window so it won't let me install it again. I just downloaded and installed Word & Excel preview and they run without a problem.

bluegrass

Sigh, been on 10122 for about a full 24 hours now and I'm back to pretty much non-stop fan even when my rig isn't hot. If this thing blows any harder I'm gonna call it Sally and marry it.

Sorry about your fan noise. It seems like you've had that forever. Are you sure it isn't you SP or some irresponsible application that might be causing it. I haven't seen others talking about the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.