PIN fix

To repair your PIN & picture password:

1. Open File Explorer and browse to this location:
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC

1. Delete everything within that folder
  2. Go to Settings-> Accounts->Sign-in Options
  3. Click Add a PIN again and set your PIN
  4. PIN sign in should work going forward

I tried to do that, but the ..\LocalService directory doesn't have AppData folder in it. :(

Arizona Willie

Installed 1030 ... everything < appeared > to go well.

It didn't

after installation of 1030 I have absolutely NO INTERNET

Installed 1030 on my desktop computer on secondary drive on top of the previous versions which were working pretty well

Computer has two internet adapters an Intel and a Realtek and NEITHER ONE WILL WORK

Switched back to Win 8.1 and now the Realtek isn't working in it either and it did before but, fortunately the Intel adapter is working under 8.1 but I got NADA on W10

cliffr39

...after installation of 1030 I have absolutely NO INTERNET.............Computer has two internet adapters an Intel and a Realtek and NEITHER ONE WILL WORK...

I had the same issue on my HP laptop with Realtek. I just walked away for a bit and it eventually started working (maybe 10 minutes).

Mhaddy

Went from 10122 to 10130 via upgrade this morning. Initially, when it started up (in the dock), no network adapters were discovered. However, after about a minute or so, they appeared, and everything is fine. So far so good. I'm liking the changes to the Start menu as well as the extra settings to customize what you want in the list, etc.
How long did you have to wait for the WLAN adapter/drivers to appear?

Edit: It's alive again! (it was about 5 minutes post reboot from initial install)

cliffr39

How long did you have to wait for the WLAN adapter/drivers to appear?

Edit: It's alive again! (it was about 5 minutes post reboot from initial install)

Yep, about 5-10 minutes. I would get a valid IP address, but could not ping anything. If I rebooted it still didn't fix it. Just walking away for a few minutes resolved it... very strange.

Mhaddy

After updating to 10130 I was expecting to not see the 2015-05-14 system firmware but lo and behold, here it is again. What's the verdict on this - why does it keep popping up?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The 05/14/2015 firmware updates the network adapter.
After the update is successful, the adapter is apparently disabled until a cold boot happens, not a 'restart'.

Even after successfully applying this update previous to Build 10130, it will need to be applied again.
I posted about this [here].

@Arizona Willie, cold boot that computer.

wynand32

Crud. Trying to make an ISO out of the 10130 ESD, no luck. Decompression errors. And I'm just not comfortable downloading some random ISO of the webz. Grrr.

Edit: As an update, tried making a compressed ESD, that seemed to complete without error but the install failed. Now going to install 10074 and then upgrade from there. Fun, fun, fun.

Last edited:

Arizona Willie

Solved

I had to completely remove my Avast Premier virus protection

I tried disabling it but still no internet

Once I removed it, all was ok again.

wynand32

I would like to talk "flakiness" a bit. Other than using the 10125 .ISO every upgrade I've done from 9926 > 10041 > 10049 > 10061 > 10074 > 10122 > 10125 > 10130 has been a Windows Update over the top of the previous build and I (and several others up here) have had nowhere near the severity or variability of multiple others' laments up here.

Well, I posted a page or so back about my biggest issues with 10130 so far. I won't repeat them here. And I hear you about people having different experiences--that's been one of the most remarkable aspects of this whole process, that so many SP3s act so differently, even when they're essentially the same. Such as, people who did clean installs of 10074, and then some could upgrade to 10122 and some couldn't. No rhyme or reason.

In my case, I have a 10130 install that got here via a new-ish Win8.1 -> 10074 -> 10130. Not much clutter to clean up, really. But, in addition to the issues I outlined earlier, I now can't pin any more apps to my start menu. Just got to a point and no more show up.

So, I managed to do a compressed ISO from the ESD file (uncompressed wouldn't work for some reason), and am going to try a clean install of 10130. Because my SP3 acts so very different than my desktop, and than other SP3s, apparently. It's the nature of alphas and betas and previews, I know, but I'll not pretend it's all that much fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.