What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris

Got around the memory error when shutting down by creating a shutdown shortcut link. Here's how to do it.

Right-click in any open spot on the desktop, then choose New, Shortcut.

Type shutdown /p and then click Next.

Choose a different name for the shortcut if you want, or leave it as "shutdown," then click Finish.

You can go into properties and change the icon, if you want.

Right-click the new shortcut and choose Pin to Start.

wynand32

Try dragging the App over to the Start Menu. Does that work?

Nope. And, I'm having general Start screen wonkiness, like occasionally a tile won't resize correctly--e.g., if I set it as wide, the right half is blank (meaning the unpin and option buttons are missing). And, I'm having tiles get "stuck," including when the Start screen isn't showing (Nextgen Reader is stuck right now, blocking part of this text input box).

Crazy thing is, my previous 10130 install was Win8.1 -> 10074 -> 10130. This one is 10074 clean from ISO -> 10130. So completely different installs, and yet both are having exactly the same problems. Doesn't make sense if nobody else is having them.

I'll try try rebooting to see if it helps (OneDrive is syncing, want to let it finish), but it didn't help with the previous install.

Edit: Okay, I rebooted a number of times and things seem to have resolved. I can pin again, and tiles are the proper size. Weird.

Last edited:

bender

PIN fix

To repair your PIN & picture password:

1. Open File Explorer and browse to this location:
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC

1. Delete everything within that folder
  2. Go to Settings-> Accounts->Sign-in Options
  3. Click Add a PIN again and set your PIN
  4. PIN sign in should work going forward

I can't verify my account again... So this fix doesn't work!

10125 > 10130 :(

Nice bug, can't click "Get Started" to uninstall 10130! There is also no way to enter Advanced Restart... I think it is bugged!

Last edited:

rege0039

I installed 130, slow but OK.

Seemed good yesterday but after a cold boot this morning I can not access the start menu at all.

It either doesn't appear either from on screen or hardward windows key or flicks out for a second and then disappears and I can't hit a tile fast enough to start any apps.

Tried re-booting numerous times.

I had added more items under the link list for the start menu of music, pictures and documents but have now turned them all off again.

I know this is a known, and occasional error according to one of the articles I read, but I'm getting it all the time.

Anyone else have it ? Or know how to fix it ?

First time I have thought of going back to 8.1 but may have to as I can't easily start any apps or programmes !

Arobs45

Good morning you all !
I have a constant issue since 10074 (and 10122 and now 10130). My MSN Apps (News, Weather, Finance...) start and then nearly immediatyely close. I have the same issue since 3 days on the photos app (had on 10122 and 10130).
Would you have any idea ?

I've been looking around, and could not find any answer (tried to get new local account, re-index all the stuff) but Nothing worked... Any help here ?
Thanks

PS : My Windows is in French !

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there, @Arobs45

Microsoft caused this bug starting with 10074. It involves your account on the Store.

1. Start Powershell as an administrator (from right-click on Start)
2. Run this command:
Code:
Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
3. Re-install those apps.

Arobs45

Hi there, @Arobs45

Microsoft caused this bug starting with 10074. It involves your account on the Store.

2. Run this command:
Code:
Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online

Thanks SharpColorado

In fact, that was part of some trials I gave.
I tests once again just now, but no change :( :(

Any other idea ?

Arobs45

Hi there, @Arobs45

2. Run this command:
Code:

By the way, the command line you provided was ment for "Contacts" issue, no ?
And my mail/calendar apps are working perfectly (as far as of now). I lost my "People hub/Contacts" quite a long time ago without been able to recover it :(

Last edited:
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
By the way, the command line you provided was ment for "Contacts" issue, no ?
And my mail/calendar apps are working perfectly (as far as of now). I lost my "People hub/Contacts" quite a long time ago without been able to recover it :(

The command line was to repair Mail, People (Contacts) and Calendar. You should delete the People and Calendar apps and re-install.

ScottyS

That command line doesn't work for me

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
Get-appxprovisionedpackage : An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.
At line:1 char:1
+ Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –li ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: :)) [Get-AppxProvisionedPackage], COMException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.GetAppxProvisionedPackageCommand

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Edit: is there no way to get this software to type colons and parenthesis without it making it into a smiley face?

Last edited:

rege0039

I installed 130, slow but OK.

Seemed good yesterday but after a cold boot this morning I can not access the start menu at all.

It either doesn't appear either from on screen or hardward windows key or flicks out for a second and then disappears and I can't hit a tile fast enough to start any apps.

Tried re-booting numerous times.

I had added more items under the link list for the start menu of music, pictures and documents but have now turned them all off again.

I know this is a known, and occasional error according to one of the articles I read, but I'm getting it all the time.

Anyone else have it ? Or know how to fix it ?

First time I have thought of going back to 8.1 but may have to as I can't easily start any apps or programmes !

So seems to come back if I turn back on the option 'store and display a list of recently used programs'.

Certainly seems to be connected to the changes MS made to what can be displayed. Like the option but not working fully, yet.

Side fly out for notification seems to be much less willing to work but more random, doesn't work for 8 swipes in and then suddenly does.

Status
Not open for further replies.