What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
10130 is a slow install at the start then speeds up.

This is just doing the reset (as if to sell). The S3 was unable to perform an install of 10125 from a usb stick. Wouldn't even get to the install boot screen. Just did it's initial restart, then sat at the surface logo with the spinning dots for 15 minutes before booting into 10074. Definitely a device that is slow enough that it should just be left well alone.

GTiceman

Yes, it's paired and connects when I press the button as visible by the quick progress bar in Bluetooth settings.

I'll try the other suggestions, but this Surface and my first SP3 never had that purple button work (actually it has worked a few times, more in prior Win10 build than Win8). A few weeks after I got the SP3 I went back to the MS store, they tried a new pen and when that wouldn't work they gave me a new SP3. It never worked (mostly) on the new SP3 either.

Crap. Everything went so well on my 130 upgrade, then I go and press the purple button to check onenote and from 122 where it worked to 130, where it no longer works.

I've re-paired, replaced all batteries, tried 2nd pen, reinstalled Onenote and nothing. Very cute.... :(

I have the same issues. I can't get the pen to launch OneNote, but the buttons do work and they do take screenshots

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Installing the 10130 iso on the sp3 now. Hopefully it works.

Interestingly, on my S3, it told me there was no previous version of windows it could roll back to, suggesting my 8.1 recovery had been wiped. Yet I did a full system reset and it reset to 8.1. What gives?

lparsons21

I put the 10130 on mine last night. Install was smooth and easy, BUT too many things just still don't work right that I'm taking it back to 8.2

1. New mail app is fine, but won't work with iCloud mail and you can't even get to the real settings to try to fix that.
2. Tapatalk still crashes, this has been true for many of the releases.
3. Can't log in with PIN even though I've set it to. Doesn't even offer it as an option except in 'settings'
4. The Spartan Project doesn't do plugins or extensions from what I see
5. And as has been noted, the pen won't pull up OneNote and the spiral ink menu seems to be gone.

Overall they've cleaned it up quite well, but from a user that primarily uses touch, it isn't an improvement from 8.1 IMO.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still the issue (for me) with multiple displays. However it somehow worked itself out.

Set it to only display on the external display, but this gave me the same squashed aspect ratio and no ability to change resolution, so then selected the failsafe option of duplicate displays, and selected the resolution for my tv, and upon applying it then went back to display only on display 2 but in the correct resolution.

gbenrus25

You guys are tempting me to install 10130. Few questions first though pls.

1) Does onenote mui preview finally have the option to change the thickness of the pen?
2) Does spartan run reliably?
3) For those who had fan issues in previous build, is that now resolved?
4) Does the mail app now download mails completely as opposed to always having to click on download the full mail and wait a bit for that to happen
5) Do a bunch of apps still crash? Sucks that tapatalk still crashes but do the people, surface apps still crash? Don't remember the others that crashed now
6) Have the fixed the sleep issues /connected standby?
7) is the miracast performance improved?

Don't want to bother installing if majority of these issues still exist. Thanks!

mitchellvii

Fan still blows, but look at it this way, think of the money I'm saving by not needing a white noise generator. MS gave me one for free!

Ssssssssssssss...

Compusmurf

Btw tapatalk is such a poorly written app that it crashed often even under 8.1. Lol pity too. My Xbox live connected games seem to be working this round tho.

wynand32

So, some flakiness with 10130, so considering a clean install.

For you folks who've clean installed 10130 from ISO, what driver pack are you using? Or are all devices recognized at install or subsequent update? I had issues with this when I clean installed 10074, so...

GTiceman

I only use Tapatalk on my android phone, can't stand the windows mui app.

You guys are tempting me to install 10130. Few questions first though pls.

1) Does onenote mui preview finally have the option to change the thickness of the pen?
2) Does spartan run reliably?
3) For those who had fan issues in previous build, is that now resolved?
4) Does the mail app now download mails completely as opposed to always having to click on download the full mail and wait a bit for that to happen
5) Do a bunch of apps still crash? Sucks that tapatalk still crashes but do the people, surface apps still crash? Don't remember the others that crashed now
6) Have the fixed the sleep issues /connected standby?
7) is the miracast performance improved?

Don't want to bother installing if majority of these issues still exist. Thanks!

Never had a desire to change the thickness of the pen. Never had Spartan/Edge issues. My fan seems to be almost non existent in this build. I believe the mail app is still behaving the same. As far as I can tell sleep is okay. Miracast I have not tested yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.