What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrass

Anyone else seeing constant 70-100% CPU after the recent windows updates? All morning so far, it won't come down.

Service Host: Local System (18 processes) - 30-50%

• Windows Update, Microsoft Sign-in Ass., WMI, Update Orchestrator Service, User Manager, Themes, Shell Hardware Detection, System Event notification service, task scheduler, user profile service, geolocation service, server ip helper, group policy client, computer browser, BITS, bitlocker, application information.
Local Security Authority Process (3) - 10-15%
  • credential manager, security accounts manager, cng key isolation
I would bring up the WiFi status window and monitor bytes being sent and received. This will tell you if a lot data is being moved in either direction. You can see the WiFi status by opening the Network & Sharing Center in the Control Panel and than opening the Connection window.

wynand32

After a few more days, 10130 is starting to grow on me. I used it for a fairly long stretch yesterday evening, and it performed pretty well and didn't get overly hot. The only thing that kicked on the fan was having multiple IE tabs open, but the fan was only running about 25%. Seems decent enough, and proves yet again that you really need to let the initial setup/indexing/alien replication processes finish before drawing conclusions.

I can't use tablet mode because of the missing swipe-down get to get to settings and app commands in Windows apps, and Windows Explorer still crashes every now and then, but overall it's a good experience. And I can say exactly why, but Win10 just feels better to me than Win8.1. It's not as efficient as a pure tablet as the iPad, but of course it does 10X as much. I use my iPad for the most ad hoc sessions, but when I'm ready to do real work, it's all SP3.

Overall, I'm getting a little more confident that the July 29 date is reasonable, especially now that they're locking down features and focusing on bugs and fit/finish.

Kris

Are you clicking it with the pen? I havn't used the pen in a while on my SP3 but I sem to recall that the type of keyboard that pops up varied depending on whether you were using pen or finger at the time
I might click it once with my pen during the day, the change the format back to regular keyboard. Rest of the day maybe even before I use my finger and it brings up the inking keyboard, or if a text box appears it brings it up on its own.
So no preferred keyboard settings?
Overall, I'm getting a little more confident that the July 29 date is reasonable, especially now that they're locking down features and focusing on bugs and fit/finish.
I am just the opposite, it seems most of the recent updates are coming with more and more errors, pen not working, freezing while sleeping, Cortana is still a mess, loss of clicking on the taskbar or starmenu, no slideshow backgrounds, the list goes on and on. I am at a complete loss on how they are going to fix all of this before the end of July. I also see features like Onedrive going back to the better way never happening.

Last edited:

riley2323

Can't do multiple international clocks in Win 10 or am I missing something? The button is there but it doesn't seem to work...only changes the main clock. The shortcut only takes you to the main settings screen too.

riley2323

Can't do multiple international clocks in Win 10 or am I missing something? The button is there but it doesn't seem to work...only changes the main clock. The shortcut only takes you to the main settings screen too.
I put the cart before the horse. Checked feedback app, and upvoted this issue.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bizarre. My SP3 is no longer recognizing and of my F1 through F12 keys.

When I updated to 10130 it reset my keyboard and I had to swap it back from the hot keys to the F keys.

I now have the joys you have experienced with non-stop fan. any time I come into my room having left the tablet on desktop with nothing running, I come back to find the fan blowing. Strangely if I then start using the machine, such as I am writing this post, the fan stops.

wynand32

When I updated to 10130 it reset my keyboard and I had to swap it back from the hot keys to the F keys.

I now have the joys you have experienced with non-stop fan. any time I come into my room having left the tablet on desktop with nothing running, I come back to find the fan blowing. Strangely if I then start using the machine, such as I am writing this post, the fan stops.

Hmmm... I was just commenting earlier that my fan has been very manageable. And my SP3 actually goes to sleep, where it wasn't in 10074.

If Microsoft has anything to fix in Win10 before July 29, it's how inconsistent it performs on the SP3. This goes beyond the typical differences in apps and such.

Compusmurf

Dying for a new build. Issues I'm still having: Explorer random restarts, pen button not linking to onenote, random bluetooth disconnects. Those are my "big" 4, there's a few others. Using multidesktop tool, sometimes apps on one desktop will randomly "jump" to the other.

All of these have been affecting me on a DAILY basis while using the OS 9 hours a day at work for live stuff. I don't keep data on my machine so it's all good.

Compusmurf

Question: Any utilities out there that actually display the SP3 fan speed? My version of "fans on" may translate different than someone elses. Might be a good test to see if someone's is running HOTTER than someone elses if we could compare fan speeds.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmmm... I was just commenting earlier that my fan has been very manageable. And my SP3 actually goes to sleep, where it wasn't in 10074.

If Microsoft has anything to fix in Win10 before July 29, it's how inconsistent it performs on the SP3. This goes beyond the typical differences in apps and such.

Yup. Something definitely wrong. For reference I do not have a single app installed. My machine is a clean install of 10130 and has chrome, utorrent, WinRAR, and VLC installed. Nothing else. None of it running (I know about chrome, and also make sure to disable the background app, and I've read about utorrent ant it's something-mining software sometimes bundled in, so only run it when I have to download something).

Given how little I have installed, I might plug my memory stick in tomorrow and give it another clean install and see whether anything changes. Interestingly it was fine for the first 3 or 4 days, I forget. It was only last night while watching an HD film that I noticed the fan, and since then it's been running whenever the machine is not being used (I don't let it sleep or turn screen off when plugged in) but stops the moment I start using it. think it's meant to be the other way arou/nd :p

gbenrus25

Maybe your hardware is bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.