What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrass

The fan in mine has been going bonkers today. I need hearing protection. CPU %33/Memory 33%/Disk 0%
I don't have any applications currently running. Just went into overdrive.
I rebooted and it seems better for a bit and then winds up again... Strange.

@mitchellvii - I totally feel you on your fan issues. If this was all the time thing I would throw it like a frisbee across the room.

I wonder if I should assume something is wrong with my fan. I have never heard it the 11 months I've had my SP3. I can't imagine a little bitty (technical description of the size) fan inside the computer could make much noise when it is running unless it has a bad bearing or the blade is rattling.

malberttoo

I wonder if I should assume something is wrong with my fan. I have never heard it the 11 months I've had my SP3. I can't imagine a little bitty (technical description of the size) fan inside the computer could make much noise when it is running unless it has a bad bearing or the blade is rattling.

I would think if there was actually something wrong, your SP3 would have unceremoniously shut itself down from time to time, to protect itself from thermal damage.

I was working in Canva last night, and for the third time since I've owned it, the fan came on for a couple minutes. I felt the back and it was smoking hot, the house was really quiet and so I heard the noise a little.

Find something to load the proc up, you will hear it come on if your ears are good.... :D

Compusmurf

There are some intel 4225 beta drivers on station drivers. These are INTEL drivers, not Microsoft. That means you'll get full control panel. Dated 5/29/15

http://www.station-drivers.com/inde...-Graphics-Drivers-Version-15.40.64.4225-Beta/

download, extract.

Manually install the 4225 inf from the graphics folder using the standard update/have disk.

Once done, and it shows, run the setup.exe in the main folder to install all the rest of the goodies. Restart is required when done.

Again, on you. Your machine blows up, crashes, spews $$$ from the usb port, etc, it's on you for testing them.

Kris

There are some intel 4225 beta drivers on station drivers. These are INTEL drivers, not Microsoft. That means you'll get full control panel. Dated 5/29/15

http://www.station-drivers.com/inde...-Graphics-Drivers-Version-15.40.64.4225-Beta/

download, extract.

Manually install the 4225 inf from the graphics folder using the standard update/have disk.

Once done, and it shows, run the setup.exe in the main folder to install all the rest of the goodies. Restart is required when done.

Again, on you. Your machine blows up, crashes, spews $$$ from the usb port, etc, it's on you for testing them.
What's the benefit vs using Windows 10 provided drivers?

Compusmurf

Benefit: FULL control panel with custom resolutions, more control, usually NEWER, support for more games, more apps, bug fixes.

Negative: Not supplied by MS, not updatable through Win Update. May not have specific battery customizations that MS may or may not add to drivers, every firmware from MS, you have to reinstall manually again.

You want the latest with the most control, or you want MS's with less control but low maintenance? That's the difference.

Kris

Every time I create a Onedrive folder for my wallpapers, One drive creates 3 sub folders in it. Is there anyway to stop this? Doesn't matter what I name the folder.

Capture.JPG

mitchellvii

Has anyone ever figured out why MS has deemed it necessary to exclude the HD Control Panel from the SP3 Drivers? I know having control over things like gamma, etc is something NO ONE WANTS (sort of like the Start Menu, right MS?), but is there actually a rational reason?

P.S., I hate when MS excludes an incredibly popular feature everyone uses simply because THEY have decided WE don't need it. Meanwhile they add all kinds of esoteric new features no one asked for which usually just break things we actually use.

SteveMac

Okay, well then, after a bit more time with 10130, here are the issues that continue to plague my SP3 (and mostly not my desktop, which is much more stable):

Snip

This isn't a "problem," per se, but I don't like the hidden controls in the Start screen (accessed via the hamburger icon). If anyone knows how to turn that off, please let me know. It's irritating to have to click to open the list of apps, power, settings, etc., especially when I'm fighting with placing tiles.

Settings/Personalization/Start

Turn off "Use full screen start when in the desktop"

Status
Not open for further replies.