What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTiceman

When I updated to 10130 it reset my keyboard and I had to swap it back from the hot keys to the F keys.

I now have the joys you have experienced with non-stop fan. any time I come into my room having left the tablet on desktop with nothing running, I come back to find the fan blowing. Strangely if I then start using the machine, such as I am writing this post, the fan stops.

This I think is due to Windows Defender and similar items that run when idle. I had that even on 8.1

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lol. Sorry man. Just had to try get a response about the system out of you.

I am aware of that ;) It got old a while back haha. But yes, clearly my system has an issue, and from reading this thread since the update, clearly it is not the norm. Hence the idea to reinstall and see if anything I then install changes anything (not too hard to identify if it does, given I only have 4 programs installed on the thing) as opposed to just shouting windows is broken no way they can release it this year and all that guff this thread has seen.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
This I think is due to Windows Defender and similar items that run when idle. I had that even on 8.1

Does defender come up as a process or statistic in task manager? I keep task manager open in the background just to see if anything is out of kilt when this kind of thins is occurring, and all stats are consistently low. Cpu is never above 5% while the fan is doing it's thing and with apparently 0% disk and network activity.

mitchellvii

The strangest thing about these builds (honestly, why do we do this to ourselves when 8.1 is a solid, perfectly stable OS?) is the way they not only affect each person's machine differently, but how they seem to degrade over time.

Weird.

cmergel

The fan in mine has been going bonkers today. I need hearing protection. CPU %33/Memory 33%/Disk 0%
I don't have any applications currently running. Just went into overdrive.
I rebooted and it seems better for a bit and then winds up again... Strange.

@mitchellvii - I totally feel you on your fan issues. If this was all the time thing I would throw it like a frisbee across the room.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The strangest thing about these builds (honestly, why do we do this to ourselves when 8.1 is a solid, perfectly stable OS?) is the way they not only affect each person's machine differently, but how they seem to degrade over time.

Weird.

Definitely odd. I quite like the idea you had about specific machines intentionally doing certain things so that a range of responses and bugs can be tested etc. You'd have thought MS could at least make a statement about it.

As to why we do this, ill do it every day of the week. I'm on 8.1 on my S3 and I honestly cannot stand it. It might not have the issues of win 10 (othé than it disconnecting WiFi every time I open the network page). The stability on 8.1 doesn't for a second outweigh the improvements in 10 (for me; I'm a casuall user so stability etc isn't as important to me as it would be with someone using this machine for their work)

GTiceman

Does defender come up as a process or statistic in task manager? I keep task manager open in the background just to see if anything is out of kilt when this kind of thins is occurring, and all stats are consistently low. Cpu is never above 5% while the fan is doing it's thing and with apparently 0% disk and network activity.

It used to show as a process I thought.

Either way your hardware is faulty as I am getting no fan. ;)

cliffr39

For me I have no fan and only a few apps installed. From the beta store I have Word Preview, Drawboard PDF, and Touchme Gesture. I also installed BatteryBar and Intel HD Graphics manually. Very well (hopefully) could be just an app that causes your fan issue.

bluegrass

Yup. Something definitely wrong. For reference I do not have a single app installed. My machine is a clean install of 10130 and has chrome, utorrent, WinRAR, and VLC installed. Nothing else. None of it running (I know about chrome, and also make sure to disable the background app, and I've read about utorrent ant it's something-mining software sometimes bundled in, so only run it when I have to download something).

Given how little I have installed, I might plug my memory stick in tomorrow and give it another clean install and see whether anything changes. Interestingly it was fine for the first 3 or 4 days, I forget. It was only last night while watching an HD film that I noticed the fan, and since then it's been running whenever the machine is not being used (I don't let it sleep or turn screen off when plugged in) but stops the moment I start using it. think it's meant to be the other way arou/nd :p

Have you tried following the procedure to format your SD drive before loading the 10130?

Status
Not open for further replies.