What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchellvii

Fan ran pretty hard for a while when I first installed 10147 but has settled down significantly, except in one scenario. If I fold the keyboard back and hold the SP3 in tablet mode, the fan almost immediately kicks in full blast and the back gets hot even though I'm doing nothing more than browsing a simple web page. Why would MS write their OS to run hottest when the user is supposedly holding the device?

Hopefully this is a bug that will be fixed.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fan ran pretty hard for a while when I first installed 10147 but has settled down significantly, except in one scenario. If I fold the keyboard back and hold the SP3 in tablet mode, the fan almost immediately kicks in full blast and the back gets hot even though I'm doing nothing more than browsing a simple web page. Why would MS write their OS to run hottest when the user is supposedly holding the device?

Hopefully this is a bug that will be fixed.

Isn't this the same bug you reported experiencing yonks back?

GTiceman

So I noticed another issue. My pen works, double click takes screenshot and a single click launches OneNote ... however OneNote Modern crashes as soon as I launch it. Anyone else?
Edit:A reinstall and reboot fixed it

Also did anyone notice the Note and Quite Hours icons now in the Action Center

Last edited:

GTiceman

Yep and I keep expecting it to improve but it doesn't.

I don't have that issue. No fan for me when I switch in and out of tablet mode, granted I don't typically flip the keyboard over.

I really haven't had the fan kick on since the initial indexing.

Last edited:

cliffr39

So, trying to do the upgrade (10147) it yelled at me about needing more space. Figured, just wipe the SP3 since I have nothing on it. First time I skipped the product key and it gave me an error after a while during install about couldn't write registry and dumped back to the first screen of installer. The second time I entered the product key and installed fine.

edit: all went well installing and Windows told me to go activate. I see an error "the product key doesn't work". They may be getting that part ready for final release where it checks for multiple installs using the same code?

Last edited:

Compusmurf

Ok, Gabe said no builds today or for the weekend, so if you need a fix, 10147 is it. That being said, this is the best build they have sent out. So far, NOTHING has not worked for me. (Is that a double negative)

I didn't get the ghost icon since I saw others had it from having "Spartan" pinned, so I removed. Upgrade allowed me to activate automagically. I had a ghost green store icon. Probably because I pinned it.

Edge explorer, you can now sorta rearrange favorites bar, and other stuff. Not perfect. It now also saves passwords. Again, not perfect, but usable. In fact, using it now. I can't use it as a daily driver because of java, ads, no plugins which I need for work connection.

I played with sleep/connected standby. Still not up to par yet. I'll probably disable it and just use hibernate. Maybe give it a few more days testing.

Insider hub app is gone, and I can't get it to install via store. I actually kinda miss it, even tho it's actually fairly useless. LOL

I get a bit of Bluetooth lag with my mouse as it sleeps/wakes up. Not entirely sure. Maybe the mouse since it's the low energy type and is sleeping on it's own.

Pen works properly in all modes now. Haven't tried from lock screen tho.

All my Modern games that use xbox now work perfectly. Wasn't always the case previous builds.

Manual drive mappings to my nas, wifi portable and drive mapping to onedrive (old school style) work, but the onedrive mapping as usual doesn't autoreconnect. Not surprising since this is kinda a hack. lol

Onedrive. As expected and stated, online only files don't have the shadow. I really miss this.

Some nice touches now. All items in start menu say "new" if you haven't run them once from there. Tiles don't count or clear that message.

color features work fine. The random color picker picks some weird crap now. Ha, so it must be working as well.

Start menu blur isn't as strong now.

As mentioned before, modified tile animations.

Heat on sp3 has gone way down after settling overnight. Whatever it was indexing, checking, doing must be done. CPU use way down on idle as well.

private/public network settings have gone awol from their usual place. I looked for 15 mins where to set my network adapter to private and didn't find it. (if you find it, tell me where) I ended up using the old tried and true method of secpol.msc. I'd have done a powershell script, but I was annoyed after 15 mins of looking and just wanted it done. Hahaha.

This build is a serious night vs day difference than 10130. Seriously! this is getting near release quality. Everything I've thrown at it has "just worked right" with the exception of Edge. It's still very beta quality, but has noticeable improvements.

If you're on the edge considering this, it's worth every moment of your time.

wynand32

Can someone running 10147 check if Edge is indeed saving passwords now? If it is, then I might make the leap myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.