What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compusmurf

Kris, MS is going the way of apple dealing with customization. It works for them. But they have made it plainly clear by giving away the os that the home market is NOT where they make their money from. Enterprise is where their big bucks come from and I'd enterprise is happy with win 10, then it doesn't matter as much what a home user thinks. Win 8 wasn't widely adopted by corporate America but if 10 is, then it will be a success. I work for one of those huge corporate monsters in the IT department. Your $149 dollar license is a drop in the bucket compared to the millions we pay annually. I suspect that they are hoping mass adoption of the free update will spur businesses to adopt faster.

We buy around 50k licenses for desktop alone, 20k server, sql, dev tools, ad tools, exchange. We have an on site MS employee and priority services. Corp America doesn't care about desktop customization that much. CA likes the apple model. Haha, easier to support.

Compusmurf

Huge exchange infrastructure worldwide, probably 300k plus users. That should give u a clue how big our expenditures are. Not all of them use desktops, we have quite a few o. Thin clients

Compusmurf

Just as a disclaimer, I'm here for personal reasons, not corporate. My testing is for personal use, not corporate. However, my opinions on my testing and info I provide does go into the corporate knowledge base.

bluegrass

My company has gone to Office365 and will be saying goodbye to or local Exchange server but I think Outlook365 is still running on an Exchange server but nor our local one anymore.

Kris

Kris, MS is going the way of apple dealing with customization. It works for them. But they have made it plainly clear by giving away the os that the home market is NOT where they make their money from. Enterprise is where their big bucks come from and I'd enterprise is happy with win 10, then it doesn't matter as much what a home user thinks. Win 8 wasn't widely adopted by corporate America but if 10 is, then it will be a success. I work for one of those huge corporate monsters in the IT department. Your $149 dollar license is a drop in the bucket compared to the millions we pay annually. I suspect that they are hoping mass adoption of the free update will spur businesses to adopt faster.

We buy around 50k licenses for desktop alone, 20k server, sql, dev tools, ad tools, exchange. We have an on site MS employee and priority services. Corp America doesn't care about desktop customization that much. CA likes the apple model. Haha, easier to support.

What you say makes 100% sense, it just makes me sad. I am fossil grasping onto another fossil. I see some other company taking over for home users. I love MS for the power it gives me, especially in the diverse area of HTPC, and don't want to have to move to something like Android. Too many limitations... But like you said they are out to make money.

Compusmurf

We will never use offsite hosting for anything. No cloud, no mail, no storage, in fact, our dmz system blocks users from accessing event their personal stuff from inside the network. Trust me, if you know who I work for, you'll understand the reasons why.

wynand32

Seems like the things he mentioned are in 147 so that's a good sign I think.

Oh sure, which is why I specifically stated I'm not making recommendations either way. Personally, I'm now using Windows 10 as the daily driver on my production machines, and so I'm treating this less like an experiment and more like real work. So, I'm inclined to avoid issues wherever possible. But again, just my own preference.

Compusmurf

What you say makes 100% sense, it just makes me sad. I am fossil grasping onto another fossil. I see some other company taking over for home users. I love MS for the power it gives me, especially in the diverse area of HTPC, and don't want to have to move to something like Android. Too many limitations... But like you said they are out to make money.

Who is there to take up the slack? There really isn't anyone left in the desktop OS arena. Android isn't that great on pc's. Good for tablets, horrible for anything bigger. Chrome OS? lol, thin client in disguise. That's not a real system. Linux? They are so divided on flavors and not making it brainlessly simple for the masses. Only thing left is Apple. There's nothing wrong with Mac's really. They are great for what they do as well. Seriously tho, MS isn't going anywhere, not in the desktop or corporate world. Now their phone division...... UGH, seriously? too little, too late I believe.

Compusmurf

Mitchellvii, I'm restoring my backup of 10130, going to test something then reinstall 10147. I've been banging on it all day now and have found some interesting bugs which I think need to be reported. Not user level bugs, but possibly a security related one. I suspect they already know about it or it's a product of their debug code, but it should be reported. I need to go back to 10130, test there, then restore again and go back to 10147. 47 is clean enough for me to use daily. :) Kris, I'd never know about the background changing issue. on most of my systems it's usually a black background. lol Oh and am NOT having any wifi related issues at all and I'm on 5Ghz network. I posted a few pages back about making sure you're network is set to private vs public. Maybe you should check that. Just a thought.

Kris

Mitchellvii, I'm restoring my backup of 10130, going to test something then reinstall 10147. I've been banging on it all day now and have found some interesting bugs which I think need to be reported. Not user level bugs, but possibly a security related one. I suspect they already know about it or it's a product of their debug code, but it should be reported. I need to go back to 10130, test there, then restore again and go back to 10147. 47 is clean enough for me to use daily. :) Kris, I'd never know about the background changing issue. on most of my systems it's usually a black background. lol Oh and am NOT having any wifi related issues at all and I'm on 5Ghz network. I posted a few pages back about making sure you're network is set to private vs public. Maybe you should check that. Just a thought.

Background issues is it just greying out the option to rotate background images from folders. Easy enough work around by going into the theme options and choosing the unsaved one and either saving it or sometimes just by selecting it. The 5GHz issue goes away after I have logged into my 2.4GHz update the system then try again, always have my network on private. Thanks though. Oh I also had to set my screen saver to a black image instead of the blank screen saver, otherwise I get a lit up black screen. Does this on my desktop and SP3 but as you can guess more of a pain on the desktop since I just let my SP3 go to sleep or turn it off. Thanks again for all of your advice and truthfulness.

Status
Not open for further replies.