What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Went back to W8. Was fun trying this but too many little annoying things to hang with it. My biggest problem was the strange double click behavior with my Logitech mouse. Me designing forms in Access almost impossible.

Odd. which mouse do you use? I have a mx anywhere and use the universal dongle thing they use these days, and i don't have an issue, works perfectly.

razy60

Are you using the Lync 2013 Client? I was having many of the issues you mentioned until I exit from the client, I haven't had any of the above for the past 72 hours with Lync not running.
Not running Lync, I'm wondering if it could be a graphic problem as on occasion it acts that way.

mitchellvii

Odd. which mouse do you use? I have a mx anywhere and use the universal dongle thing they use these days, and i don't have an issue, works perfectly.

I have same mouse. Problem was primarily when using Access. When designing forms was very difficult to select anything since the mouse would constantly double click.

After switching back to 8.1 no longer having issues.

vsherry

I really don't see the appeal of switching to an unfinished operating system in the first place, but I'm hoping you guys will help smooth it out before I hop aboard the finished version.

mitchellvii

vshecan't stop messin post: 104668 said:
I really don't see the appeal of switching to an unfinished operating system in the first place, but I'm hoping you guys will help smooth it out before I hop aboard the finished version.

Because we can't stop messin with our toys until we break them.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... I'm hoping you guys will help smooth it out before I hop aboard the finished version...

That's the only way it becomes a 'finished' version.

No, wait... Did I just imply that there is such thing as a 'finished' version? Sorry about that.

mitchellvii

Just in case anyone was wondering if the easy-bake-oven-leaf-blower effect is due to Windows 10, yeah it is. Just switched back to Windows 8 and fan barely runs and I now have to fry eggs on the stove instead of the back of my SP3.

Hopefully MS will get that sorted out before the actual release.

mitchellvii

Thanks for giving Windows 10 Technical Preview a go, @young blade and @mitchellvii , and for contributing your feedback.

Ur welcome. Many positive things about it but the little weirdnesses here and there were the dealkiller for now. Still for an early Beta not bad at all.

Oh one more thing that was an issue. When inking in OneNote, half a page of ink would suddenly just disappear for no apparent reason. Disconcerting.

young blade

Glad that I had the chance to participate.

In the end it took me two days to get back to windows 8.1. First I've tried to see if there was a recovery image but the system could not find one. so I downloaded the recovery files from microsoft and the system did not accept them. Than I downloaded a ilegal version of windows 8.0 (I'M NOT PROUD OF DOING SO..!! but I had no choice..)

Advice: Never put windows 8.0 on your machine because it will never let you update to windows 8.1 and it wont recognize all of your system hardware (not even the touchscreen).

so I tried installing the surface pro 3 drivers manually but it will give you all kinds of errors because the drivers dont like windows 8.0. In the meanwhile I had no working internet connection because there were no drivers that would work. I had to use my usb 3.0 to RJ-45 adapter and use a cat 5 cable to my laptop and share the internet connection to get acces to the net.

In the end I found a windows 8.1 ISO (dutch version my native language) on the internet and installed it. But before I could install 8.1 I needed a genuine product key. I've used a tool to sniff out the OEM product key that came preinstalled in the BIOS of the SP3.

I just finnished installing 8.1 and manually succeeded in installing all of the SP3 drivers so now there are no yellow triangles inside device manager.

pffff I'm so tired right now.. I was ready to pull out my hair over this.. Took me 2 days to get here.. 2 days..

Status
Not open for further replies.