What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllTaken

Dang. What if Cortina just randomly talked to you in a real sexy voice and said "How's you're day going Hughlle"?

Next thing we know, we'll have a hologram of Cortina pop out and sit on our lap when she talks to us.

You've really put a sexual spin on this whole Cortina business, she strikes me as a strong woman who knows what you want.

AllTaken

No new build yet.... I noticed the insider site was down earlier but upon coming back to life it now says:

Coming soon
The Windows 10 Technical Preview and Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones are almost ready. Please check back.

That's great but slightly concerning:

New Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones
Check out the new features for Windows phones when the Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones is available in February.

I hope Microsoft will release the new PC preview before the Phone preview. Do you think we'll see a joint release in February?

EDIT:

A special thank-you to our Windows Insiders – we couldn’t build Windows 10 without you. In the next week, we will release the latest build for Windows Insiders running the Windows 10 Technical Preview on PCs and expand availability to 25 more languages. And later in February, we’ll release our first technical preview for phones.

GTiceman

Dang. :You're talking like you're as old as I am. What if Cortina just randomly talked to you in a real sexy voice and said "How's you're day going Hughlle"?

To be honest. I'm kind of like you with respect to talking to my phone or a computer. I feel a little embarrassed. Next thing we know, we'll have a hologram of Cortina pop out and sit on our lap when she talks to us.

Why do you think MS is really releasing the HoloLens...

rege0039

Hi,

Have Build 9879 installed on a dual boot for a while but not used it for last month (don't like the OneDrive implementation) but came back to it to get ready for next release after yesterday.

However when I boot into Windows 10 and select PC settings from the charms PC settings is shown on the taskbar but won't appear on the main screen at all. I tried docking and using 2nd monitor but still not there on either screen but on task bar. Same thing happens with Windows Store.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... Build 9879 ... PC settings from the charms PC settings is shown on the taskbar but won't appear on the main screen at all. I tried docking and using 2nd monitor but still not there on either screen but on task bar. Same thing happens with Windows Store.

Yep. I have seen this occasionally, and I suspect a process related to OneDrive is the culprit. When I have had this problem, it goes away by itself about 7 minutes after booting up. You may have noticed that not all your notification area icons are showing up until this time interval lapses, also. For awhile, I suspected the Microsoft Band app was causing the problem, since its window appears when everything else starts working. But I've now ruled that out.

Should go away with the January Technical Preview.

mitchellvii

Good news (assuming you care about such things). Looks like Windows 10 will, in fact, allow transparency for the Start Menu as can be seen here (along with folders):

win10_windows_startscreen-4-970x548-c.jpg

I likes me some Start Menu transparency.

mitchellvii

One other things I notice. Due to the way the Taskbar will integrate Cortana and also how it spreads out tray icons, those of us who prefer a vertical Taskbar may need to change our ways to go with a horizontal.

Cask

I installed Windows 10 Build 9879 on my Surface Pro 3. Everything runs OK except one major issue: Graphics driver. Downloaded latest driver from Intel but keep getting and error: This computer doesn't meet minimum hardware requirements. Tried installing manually but no success. Anybody has any thoughts? I am stuck with the generic graphic adapter which needless to say is terrible.

mitchellvii

I installed Windows 10 Build 9879 on my Surface Pro 3. Everything runs OK except one major issue: Graphics driver. Downloaded latest driver from Intel but keep getting and error: This computer doesn't meet minimum hardware requirements. Tried installing manually but no success. Anybody has any thoughts? I am stuck with the generic graphic adapter which needless to say is terrible.

You have to completely uninstall the current driver, reboot, then manually run setup on the new driver.

Cask

Thanks for your help. Tried it. Not luck. If I uninstall the basic display driver, it comes back on first restart. If I try to update it to the Intel HD one from device manager, it says it is not compatible. Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.