What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchellvii

Going back to 8.1 until W10 is more stable and has these memory problems ironed out. Just too frustrating as a daily driver right now. Surfing the web is simply painful and the constant fan noise is making me nuts.

Cask

Just did that last night actually got frustrated with the driver issue, so loaded the Recovery image, wipe my partition and I'm good to go. Will try again with the new build to see if it is better.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The consensus is that battery life through Windows 10 Build 9879 is no better and no worse than with Windows 8.1.

Continuum under Windows 10 may improve this.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Expectations are that when the SP3 is in tablet vs non-tablet mode, power for devices (keyboard, etc) and power management would also respect that context.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Expectations are that when the SP3 is in tablet vs non-tablet mode, power for devices (keyboard, etc) and power management would also respect that context.
Any word on whether this is by detection only or will we be able to select a mode ourselves? perhaps even lock the mode.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
There is some confusion regarding switching mode by detection.

In the Microsoft Event, 21 January 2015, a Surface Pro 3 running a build of Windows 10 showed that when the keyboard was removed, Windows asked the user if the mode should be switched to Tablet. The reverse happened when the keyboard was reattached. This implies that the mode switch would not be automatic, and if the user does not respond, may even not switch. In other communications beginning in September, 2014, Windows 10 Continuum was reported to have automatic context switching.

We should see where this is headed around Tuesday, 27 January 2015 with the January Technical Build.

My preference is probably to have the computer ask me, and not change mode unless I confirm. For example, maybe I want to remove the Type Cover keyboard, and use a Bluetooth keyboard, in the same mode. This is how the demonstration of Windows 10 depicted the protocol.

B

B'midbar

In the Microsoft Event, 21 January 2015, a Surface Pro 3 running a build of Windows 10 showed that when the keyboard was removed, Windows asked the user if the mode should be switched to Tablet. The reverse happened when the keyboard was reattached. This implies that the mode switch would not be automatic, and if the user does not respond, may even not switch. In other communications beginning in September, 2014, Windows 10 Continuum was reported to have automatic context switching.

We should see where this is headed around Tuesday, 27 January 2015 with the January Technical Build.

My preference is probably to have the computer ask me, and not change mode unless I confirm. For example, maybe I want to remove the Type Cover keyboard, and use a Bluetooth keyboard, in the same mode. This is how the demonstration of Windows 10 depicted the protocol.

Interesting thing to me on the preview was that Consumer Preview was only obliquely alluded to. It was my hope that they'd be announcing a release date for that, but unless I missed it no news.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

The obvious (to me) potential downsides to automatic switching are mode switch hell (bouncing back and forth between modes), mode switch purgatory (stuck between modes), shiftless mode (stuck in a mode and the only time it makes a change is when the coke machine down the hall doesn't). Idontwanna mode (not the mode I wanted to be in). :)

GTiceman

I noticed this as well. Also, I believe I read somewhere that this could be enabled as an automatic option.

Status
Not open for further replies.