What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllTaken

Something is amiss. Some users are reporting horrible charge/discharge times. Some, file corruption. Faulty installs.

There must be a common denominator. We almost all run the same hardware. If you're having issues that are not known bugs - did you upgrade from another preview of Windows 10? Straight from 8.1? fresh install of the preview?

My battery is actually better in this build than it ever was in 8.1!

Bugs in IE due to poor graphics drivers but that's known. I only get the usual bugs, nothing serious. That's not to say that others don't but myself, and by the looks of it a few others are running this build just fine with a few known bugs. What's your install story?

B

B'midbar

Something is amiss. Some users are reporting horrible charge/discharge times. Some, file corruption. Faulty installs.

There must be a common denominator. We almost all run the same hardware. If you're having issues that are not known bugs - did you upgrade from another preview of Windows 10? Straight from 8.1? fresh install of the preview?

Bugs in IE due to poor graphics drivers but that's known. I only get the usual bugs, nothing serious. That's not to say that others don't but myself, and by the looks of it a few others are running this build just fine with a few known bugs. What's your install story?

I did an in-place upgrade on my existing 8.1 machine, an SP3. Lots of apps, lots of data both. Other thing I noticed was the "want to change to table mode?" prompt when closing the keyboard on it when undocked, the monitor stayed on overnight and the battery completely discharged. On the port replicator in the office today it looks like it's going to take me the better part of eight hours to completely recharged. I will be watching it and running reports on it in the coming days, but my hope is, having configured for fast versus slow updates, that we'll see a build here soon that will fix that.

jumper4000

Two days in and "yes," it has problems. Battery discharge/charge times are horrible compared to 8.1, had heartburn with docked versus undocked in the port replicator and recognizing monitors, but going to hang in there and ride it out.

If it gets really gruesome I do have the image and tools to do a bare metal restore, including my apps and data, but a couple of others up here who I've noted that it's their production machine as well and being a techie I'll ride it out.

Actually rolling back to Windows 8.1 was extremely easy and painless. I had done an in place upgrade to Windows 10, so it automatically created a dual boot menu, one was Technical Preview and another was for Rollback. I clicked on Roll back and in less than 5 minutes, I was back up and running in 8.1.

GTiceman

My battery life is worse. I came from 8.1

bluegrass

I can tell you that the Independent DPI per monitor issue is NOT fixed. In fact, it's still exactly the same as Windows 8.1. I highly recommend against upgrading to 10 as it's FULL of bugs.

Jumper - most of us that are doing the preview are not conservative in actions and are risk taking techno nuts. You obviously are not, which is fine. We know that there will be bugs with Windows 10 preview. Mostof us are doing it out of curiosity and want to help Microsoft make Window 10 a better OS because of our feedback of errors we encounter and suggestions we have.

malberttoo

Jumper - most of us that are doing the preview are not conservative in actions and are risk taking techno nuts. You obviously are not, which is fine. We know that there will be bugs with Windows 10 preview. Mostof us are doing it out of curiosity and want to help Microsoft make Window 10 a better OS because of our feedback of errors we encounter and suggestions we have.

Indeed, it is Beta software. No reason at all to expect it NOT to have bugs. From the Win 10 Tech Preview page...

Download and install the preview only if you
  • Want to try out software that’s still in development and like sharing your opinion about it.
  • Don’t mind lots of updates or a UI design that might change significantly over time.

• Really know your way around a PC and feel comfortable troubleshooting problems, backing up data, formatting a hard drive, installing an operating system from scratch, or restoring your old one if necessary.

• Know what an ISO file is and how to use it.

• Aren't installing it on your everyday computer.
We're not kidding about the expert thing. So if you think BIOS is a new plant-based fuel, Tech Preview may not be right for you.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't do anything with my video drivers after doing upgrading to this new preview. I'm happy. I don't know of a need for a video control panel anyway. I am on an i7 and when I checked to see what date my video driver was, I think it was March 2014.

Yep. 3/7/2014 is it.

B

B'midbar

Yyyep... a calculated risk on my part and I'm sure anyone else who's gone to the extreme of putting it on their production machine, but we're all big Toys-R-Us kids and can get back out of Dodge if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.