What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTiceman

I used mine for email, Lync, and OneNote last week before I wiped it in W10 and It ran from 9am til 4:15 with about 15% remaining when I shut it down for good. I had to force reboot the system around 5 times throughout the day and considering as such I am happy with that battery life.

CV81

Anyone get issues in 9926 and latest updates where when screensaver locks / hibernate you are unable to unlock or turn back on pressing button but the keyboard backlight is still on? I have to hold and reboot to get some action again.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone get issues in 9926 and latest updates where when screensaver locks / hibernate you are unable to unlock or turn back on pressing button but the keyboard backlight is still on? I have to hold and reboot to get some action again.
It happened all the time on my upgrade, it only happens on my fresh install if I have Lync 2013 Active prior to Connected Standby....

SteveMac

Yes I'm seeing this quite a bit, sometimes unplugging and plugging the power fixes it, other times pressing the button a few times brings it back. I've not actually had to do a full re-boot.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what we can to do identify the power-on issue, perhaps a device that is blocking it? Powercfg is handy, the "powercfg /SLEEPSTUDY" is quite interesting, but I can't quite find the right setting.

Just read jnjroach's post about Lync, seems like something to test out.

khit

I'm ready to try 9926 on my SP3, but I'm wondering what is the best way to get a good image of the SP3 with 8.1 before I take the plunge...just in case :)

Also Ive been peeking in the thread and there is mention of using the full install, SP3 driver packs etc.,are there some basic tips on how to load Win10 on the SP3 somewhere in the thread perhaps?

GTiceman

I'm ready to try 9926 on my SP3, but I'm wondering what is the best way to get a good image of the SP3 with 8.1 before I take the plunge...just in case :)

Also Ive been peeking in the thread and there is mention of using the full install, SP3 driver packs etc.,are there some basic tips on how to load Win10 on the SP3 somewhere in the thread perhaps?

I use Acronis TrueImage to do my backups, I think it is the 2012 or 2013 edition.

As for best practices, hard to pin down. Pages 62-64 ish had some discussion. Basically consensus seems to be do a clean slate install using a FAT32 USB key with the ISO files extracted to it. Wipe every partition into one big one then let windows do its work. You will need the January 2015 driver pack from MS so load that on the stick too in advance. Best bet is to search the thread.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It happened all the time on my upgrade, it only happens on my fresh install if I have Lync 2013 Active prior to Connected Standby....

Forgive my ignorance, but how do i go about installing from scratch? Is there a combination of buttons to hold to get the device to boot from usb or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.