What's new

Windows 8.1 - Things you have noticed...

mitchellvii

1) Still no swipe back and forth in Desktop IE - disappointing.
2) Swiping back in Metro IE is still a lagfest. I guess Microsoft hasn't figured out page-caching.
3) My bluetooth mouse keeps disconnecting.
4) Metro Mail is now fugly.
5) Can't install Office 2003 Access from my Sandisk 32GB Thumb Drive anymore. Who knows? Will try updating driver. Nope, says it is working properly but when I try to install anything from it I get the following error:

Capture.PNG

Hmmm, I transferred these files to my SDCard and still got same error installing. This worked just fine in 8.1 Preview. looks like the Department of Breaking Things was working overtime. Can no longer install all prior versions of Office.

That's all I've noticed so far. Doesn't seem any faster or better looking than Preview 8.1 to me.

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Ok, figured out the Office 2003 install problem.

Prior to installing you must right click the Setup file and check compatibility. Just use the suggestions they give and it will work.

Did not have to do this in 8.1 Preview. Whew!

** One more thing. If you are going to have older versions of Office on your computer concurrently with Office 2013, I recommend you install Office 2013 first, otherwise it will screw up some of your older Office settings.

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

It no longer detects my pen. Seems I have no mouse hardware since 8.1.

Hmm, my pen seems to be functioning properly. Perhaps you should open Tablet Settings in your Control Panel and attempt to calibrate. Also maybe update your pen driver. Have you downloaded the hardware updates? There was a pretty good sized one this morning after the install. If all else fails, just try a reboot.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Couple tips on Sound:

To make your Surface Pro speakers louder, checkmark "Loudness Equalization" in Speaker Properties. However, do not set your Advanced Default Format to anything higher than 24 bit, 44100 Hz or you will no longer be able to hear your keystrokes on your touch cover keyboard.

ARosch

I am not really bothered by the look of Metro Mail. However, I really like the look of Outlook 2013 and I am glad that they finally gave it to us for free!

guillermomadrid

Go to devices and you should see them but without drivers, manually click on it and select "update"

The same happened to me and that fixed it

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I am not really bothered by the look of Metro Mail. However, I really like the look of Outlook 2013 and I am glad that they finally gave it to us for free!

Now if they would just give us Note 2013 for free I'd be a happy camper :)

oion

I thought I read somewhere that we were supposed to get the full versions of the Office apps?

What do you not have in 2013RT that you miss?

No, Windows RT units never get "full" Office applications, only the RT version; 8.1 added Outlook RT to the mix. Pro users have to cough up the money to buy Office, on the other hand.

Ruffles

I seem to have lost a couple of printers. Also, when I try to set up the lockscreen slide show, I have no option to let windows select the pictures and no combo box to set the inactivity time. Other than this, I love it.