What's new

Cool things you've found in Windows 8.1

OP
P

pallentx

You have an option of changing the tile picture when pinning internet shortcut tiles to the start screen. When you have a web page open you want to pin, swipe down from the top of the page, tap the star for favorite, than tap the pin icon this will bring up the option of pin to start screen, before you ok that, hit the arrow next to the tile for some diff tile options,

Sweet!

tonyz3

Another tip to open IE IN MULTIPLE SNAPPED windows. When you have multiple tabs open in IE swipe down and long press on a tab and you will get option to open in another window. When you choose this it will open side by side. You can continue to do this...I have 3open rt now side by side.

sugarsugar

me either. I love to stitch photos to do some design by myself. However, I found the automatic photo stitcher app sometimes need some correction manually. When comes to complex photo stitching, I turn myself to photo stitching software named Panorama Maker, which also make beautiful panorama photo on win 8, and allows more space for manual correction and guarantee the panorama quality.

cauzion

Hey Pallentx, I couldn't make my Music/Video/Photos apps to see my SD Card. Yes, there's no Library anymore and also there's no "manage" feature when I select Music, or Photos or Videos Folders on File Explorer. It was working before because I'd configured to mount D as a avolume on SD folder at C:/

Give me some help if you can. Thanks !

My problems with Windows 8.1 RT Preview

1) Error on IE11 (Error: possible error with .gwt.xml module file...) - many sites return this error, but I can keep using after clicking OK. Sites like BlogSpot.com also mentions features that could not work with the browser (but couldn't find any in fact)
2) Windows + S screen clipping (feature from OneNote) now opens the Search Charm. Don't know not which key is used for OneNote Clipping
3) Couldn't find how to synchronize with Outlook RT with Live.com/Outlook.com/Exchange so I can have all appointments, contacts and tasks sync with other devices/computers
4) Some apps are not behaving like before. Some minor screen weird behavior, some apps are slower now, OneNote copy and paste from one note to another sometimes is very slow
5) When I check manually Apps Update, it always bring the Windows 8.1 new apps to be installed as it was not installed before...it happens also with some other 3rd party apps
6) My music, video and photo apps can't see my SD card anymore (it was working before with the mounted volume at SD Folder on C:/)

Please, Check my Surface RT Review Blog with some REAL REVIEW on Surface Rr and Windows RT after using it for 7 months, 7 hours/day. http://SurfaceRtReview.BlogSpot.com

OP
P

pallentx

For some reason the libraries are sort of hidden in the preview release. I hope this was just an oversight and will be corrected. The easiest way I've found to get to them is to open an explorer window and go to Desktop at the top left. You will then see Libraries in the right pane. From there you can do everything you could do before with Libraries. I'm thinking the new Skydrive folder may have inadvertently bumped Libraries from the left view in Explorer.

tonyz3

Also Cauzion, This thread is about cool things in Win 8.1, "NOT read my REAL Review blog" You are worse than the pav video guy who posts in this forum.

ArnoldC

<snip>
Give me some help if you can. Thanks !
<snip>

I can actually address your issues, but then you will just have more content for your blog :angry:

But I can take you to my blog for the answers... :cool2:

Seriously though, don't do that man. Basic forum rule, in any forum.

Last edited:

mitchellvii

The coolest thing about 8.1 is it is actually got me using Modern UI more because IE 11 now has bookmark folders and Bing Reader is better.

Last edited: