What's new

Windows Button & Touchpad Issues

Bill_Ohio

Anyone else having issues with the Windows Button? (the actual button on the edge of the screen, not the icons!)

Mine doesn't always want to switch screens between Start and Desktop (either direction). I can feel the "buzz" when I press the button, but it doesn't always work.

Also, the right click function on the Surface 3 keyboard doesn't always work as it should. By accident, I realized that the "sweet spot" appears to be in the lower right hand corner, but that doesn't always work as it should. The "2 finger touch" method works a lot better, but if I am not real careful, the touchpad only senses one of my fingers.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, Bill,

Sounds like some aggravation that you don't deserve. Can you bring your SP3 into a Microsoft Store to compare with display models (the button) and display keyboards (the touchpad)? That way, you will know, and perhaps also get some help if there is indeed a problem.

bluegrass

Both of mine work good. I did notice on the right click that I had to be near the bottom right for it to accept the right click. If I was above the bottom right a little, I could hear and feel the click but it didn't work as designed.

OP
B

Bill_Ohio

... and perhaps also get some help if there is indeed a problem.

With all due respect, there is indeed a problem. The Windows button does not always switch screens from desktop to Start screen. I don't have to be Bill Gates to know that. When the button is pushed, it should switch screens. Mine doesn't.

Also, since posting, the right click function has gotten worse. Yesterday, the "click" was not working at all until I clicked in a different part of the touch pad. My conclusion now is that I simply have a defective keyboard, which I can return for a new one.

The windows button is not a switch between start screen a desktop mode. It's a switch from start screen and the last used app (metro app) or desktop. So It will only work as you intended if the desktop is the only app opened or the last one.

Hope it helps.

drzeller

My button fails to work a few times a day, even though vibration occurs. Using the Windows charm seems to make the button work again.

David

OP
B

Bill_Ohio

The problem occurs even when I first start (no apps would be open at that time). The computer opens to the Start screen - pushing the Windows button does nothing. I use the mouse to go to the desktop. Pushing the Windows button does nothing.
Eventually, after using the mouse to go back and forth, the Windows button does what it's supposed to do.

Maximus3D

I just noticed that if you have keyboard filtering enabled it will disable your capacitive Windows button. Discovered this by mistake tonight.

/ Magnus