What's new

Windows Journal

kristalsoldier

Thanks for pointing this out - I had no idea about this app. Quick question though - what is the file format in which Journal notes are saved? What if I want to send a Journal note to someone who uses a non-Windows platform?

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

Thanks for pointing this out - I had no idea about this app. Quick question though - what is the file format in which Journal notes are saved? What if I want to send a Journal note to someone who uses a non-Windows platform?
It's its own: jnt.

You can export the note to .tif

dgfroese

Sorry- hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I am a recent surface user (Surface Pro 2), finally having replaced my very ancient XP Tablet that I primarily used for teaching. But on my old Tablet (running XP) I could import powerpoint files into journal and then annotate them during a lecture. The pen tools are pretty crappy in ppt- changing colour, line weights, etc. is clunky and slow vs. the toolbar pen controls in journal. I have tried printing a journal file from ppt and importing it into Journal without luck. Any suggestions?

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

Sorry- hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I am a recent surface user (Surface Pro 2), finally having replaced my very ancient XP Tablet that I primarily used for teaching. But on my old Tablet (running XP) I could import powerpoint files into journal and then annotate them during a lecture. The pen tools are pretty crappy in ppt- changing colour, line weights, etc. is clunky and slow vs. the toolbar pen controls in journal. I have tried printing a journal file from ppt and importing it into Journal without luck. Any suggestions?
Capture.JPG

zhenya

Bumping this thread because I literally just ran into this program by accident with a stray click that opened it up. I didn't even realize it existed.

I like the simplicity of this app - there are times where having a dedicated, fixed workspace is nice compared to OneNote.

What I'm confused about is the handwriting - jnjroach - you said earlier in this thread that OneNote should be using the same inking engine as Journal - but I seem to get handwriting that replicates what I get on paper much better in Journal than I can in OneNote. Am I imagining things?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Bumping this thread because I literally just ran into this program by accident with a stray click that opened it up. I didn't even realize it existed.

I like the simplicity of this app - there are times where having a dedicated, fixed workspace is nice compared to OneNote.

What I'm confused about is the handwriting - jnjroach - you said earlier in this thread that OneNote should be using the same inking engine as Journal - but I seem to get handwriting that replicates what I get on paper much better in Journal than I can in OneNote. Am I imagining things?
Actually I said "Office 2013 SP1 uses the WinRT Ink API with a SHIM for talking to the Windows Ink API for Windows 7 machines...", OneNote depending on the version used a different ink API then Journal. Journal used the Windows Ink API (actually a SHIM to the old XP Ink API). Journal's inking ability has always been one of the best in the industry. The Application itself has been left to deprecate and much of its stability is gone.

malberttoo

Journal's inking ability has always been one of the best in the industry. The Application itself has been left to deprecate and much of its stability is gone.

That's seriously a shame, and something Microsoft would do well to reconsider. There is a special place in my heart for Journal, as I spent a lot of time in it as a new Tablet PC user, before I started using OneNote.

As Zhenya stated above, there are lots of times where I just want the quick and easy utility that Journal offers. Also, I am very much tied to a pen and paper. I think a LOT of people are probably like me, where many times I need to feeling of the "boundary" that Journal gives you, with the piece of paper, definite edges, etc. Sometimes it's hard for me to work in OneNote just because it's wide open and free of boundaries. I need some structure.

Also Journal is a wonderful introduction to inking, for the beginner. As much emphasis as Microsoft now seems to be putting on the pen, Journal is a great way to get people started using it! The menus are simple and the options are limited, but both still give you full features. OneNote is often just so overwhelming to the beginner.

Those are my thoughts, from someone who considers himself a Journal expert and a OneNote power user. I hope you can pass them on sometime.

malberttoo

OneNote MUI especially in Windows 10 is a good Journal Replacement....

I'll have to check it then once I get to Win 10, as I couldn't really stomach OneNote MUI on 8.1.

Except for the radial menu. That right there is pure awesome.

zhenya

I've spent some time going back and forth between journal and OneNote MUI this morning and unfortunately there is no question - journal's inking feels far more natural. Onenote seems to overly smooth things so everything gets rounded off. The cursor pointer is also far less distracting in Journal than the much larger one in onenote.

Typical Microsoft I guess letting their best stuff die just as the product it was intended for is finally coming into its own.