What's new

Without dGPU is the SB the same as SP4? Other differences?

jujin

Hello all,

Long time lurker but due to recent events this is my first post. I've been a SP3 user since last year but the SB has really caught my attention. From the website it seems that the SB and SP4 use the same CPU. Would that then mean that without the dGPU that you could expect identical performance from the SB as the SP4? Wouldn't they be the same computer technically? I'm a bit torn between getting the SB or SP4. Another thing I was wondering was if the SB is going to have the same (or better) hybrid cooling system the SP4 does. Fan noise and heat are a real issue for me and it becomes a problem sometimes with the SP3.
I'm very excited for these products and Microsoft has really been on the ball since the release of the SP3! I'm even pondering getting the band 2 and I've never bought any of these fitness trackers before.

EMINENT

I would say so. Assuming equal processor. The gpu will be the integrated gpu which will be better than the Haswell based cpu/gpu from SP3. Obviously, less battery with the bigger screen.

daniielrp

Under most loads I would assume yes they'd perform identically - you do mention about heating etc and that is where I think the difference will come in. We'll have to wait for shipping units to see this I guess!
Beyond that, the other main difference is that the SP4 is more 'usable' by itself as it houses the ports and a lot more battery in itself.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's some differences between the physical dimensions and CPU/GPU specs but how this will play out remains to be seen in actual testing and usage. The SB Clipboard screen is larger with more pixels and thinner than then SP4 this will change the thermal profile between the two.

The SP4 CPU i5 models are identical i5-6300u so no difference there but the i7 in the SP4 is i7-6650u which has 400 mhz lower base CPU frequency and iris 540 graphics with double the EU's (24 more) than the i7-6600u these differences will give the two some different performance characterizes also resulting in different thermal profile. I cannot predict the outcome so again we must wait for actual testing and real world usage reports.

I hope some reviewers already have their eval units and some early results will appear online soon although these tend to be less reliable than the rigorous scientific methods used by the likes of Anandtech.

Last edited:
Nope. Or they would have to makle different specs for that unit. I believe the keyboard is empty slot where the GPU would be. If anything, it might make the keyboard cooler.

Also, the SB doesn't have any ports on it. Its on keyboard side and as a tablet its 3hrs of battery life.

Only other thing I can think of is the Surface Book has PCIE x4 where the SP4 might have PCIE x 2. I couldn't find any information that could validate whether the SP4 has 2x or 4x PCIE so it's not something I could confirm. I would assume they kept them the same to make it easier but assumptions are dangerous

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only other thing I can think of is the Surface Book has PCIE x4 where the SP4 might have PCIE x 2. I couldn't find any information that could validate whether the SP4 has 2x or 4x PCIE so it's not something I could confirm. I would assume they kept them the same to make it easier but assumptions are dangerous
xn refers to number of lanes. Since they have the same connector and can work with the same dock the pins and therefore the lanes have to match. The placement of the connector is the issue, side vs bottom (landscape orientation).

SP4 has a Type Cover connector where the Surface Connect is on a SB. Weight is another issue, with the SP4s weight the Fulcrum Hinge would have to be a Fulcrum Gooseneck and it would weigh 4+ pounds. Changing the connector positioning so that an SP4 could work with both a type cover and a SB Keyboard presents other challenges because there's also the locking mechanism. The design of the Type Cover interconnection and spine would also have to change making it incompatible with older versions.

They could have redesigned the type cover to use the Surface Connect connector and use a compatible passive magnetic connection. Again it would be incompatible with SP3, something they vowed not to do. Don't hold you're breath for the SP5 to do it either but if they were going to that might be a good time to make the switch. Although using Surface Connect on the Type Cover has it's downsides.

I expect SB and SP4 will remain forever separate.

unruledboy

• all SB come with 13.5'' screen, way more pixels than SP4
  • real test is 14 hours video playback with SB, but SP4 maybe only 6 hours
  • the keyboard is way better from SB
  • you will have TWO USB and FULL size SD

Aww that's junk. You can't use the ad card as a external save as every time you disconnect the display you loose the sd card.